Home

Woodpecker Help

Posted By: Dewey S

Woodpecker Help - 06/15/15 04:44 PM

I have a client that I have done beaver and groundhog work for in the past and the woodpeckers are destroying the back side of his garage. They have seen a Red Headed Woodpecker, and when I was there looking I saw a smaller woodpecker. I am not a bird man at all, so any information would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Woodpecker Help - 06/15/15 06:01 PM

Some folks have reported good results by using the Attack Spider- http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/animal/WCSAS-S.html. Multiple “Spiders” are often recommended. Since you are “not a bird man”, you may want to refer the client to the WCS website.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Woodpecker Help - 06/15/15 08:02 PM

If you can put suet on the pan of a rat trap and screw the rat trap to the side of a house, you are a bird man.

P.S. Make sure that the customer has his federal woodpecker permit. ( Oh yeah, it won't work unless the rat trap's set )
Posted By: California cager

Re: Woodpecker Help - 06/15/15 08:48 PM

I think the smaller woodpecker is a sapsucker

Re: Woodpecker Help - 06/16/15 04:15 AM

LAtrapper, thanks for the link. If that don't work, then I may have to take Paul's route!
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Woodpecker Help - 06/16/15 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: California cager
I think the smaller woodpecker is a sapsucker

or Downy or Hairy.

I've successfully used spinning flashers, but a homemade version like from WCS, as well as a owl decoy hung just above the damage. Get the prism tape for the spinner from Hobby Lobby or other craft stores.
As a matter of fact, the owl has been hanging on Moms house for so long, the eyes have rotted out but woodpeckers have not returned.... for over 5 years.

Re: Woodpecker Help - 06/16/15 02:05 PM

That's good to know about the owl decoy, I didn't know if they really worked or not.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Woodpecker Help - 06/16/15 02:16 PM

Yeah, it usually takes a couple of weeks before they start pecking on the decoy.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Woodpecker Help - 06/16/15 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
Yeah, it usually takes a couple of weeks before they start pecking on the decoy.

That's what I thought Paul, but not in this case. Been blessed, again.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums