Home

Transfer from Comstock

Posted By: Dirk Shearer

Transfer from Comstock - 06/15/15 03:26 PM

Has anyone figured out an easy way to transfer raccoons, groundhogs, etc. from their Comstock into a transfer cage?

This would be most helpful in order to leave the Comstock on site for another round of catching.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Transfer from Comstock - 06/15/15 04:00 PM

Would this work? Cage Trap Divider
Posted By: bjansma

Re: Transfer from Comstock - 06/15/15 04:12 PM

I have a pretty good system. Apologies for not knowing how to post a pic but I will try to describe:

1.Use a cage divider to separate the animal from a door.
2. Then I open that door about 4-5 inches and run the tip of a screwdriver through the mesh into the door at an upward angle to keep it open.
3. Transfer cage butts up to trap with trap door extending into the transfer cage, guillotine door of the transfer cage is in place resting on the trap door.
4. Remove cage divider, you might have to use cage divider to persuade animal to enter transfer cage. Once animal commits there is no turning back when you keep the trap door open only a couple of inches like I described above.
5. Once animal is through, pull the screwdriver, when the trap door closes the transfer cage door falls in place and all you have to do is clip it.
Posted By: Eric Arnold

Re: Transfer from Comstock - 06/15/15 04:46 PM

Dirk,

Use a cage divider and the Comstock door setting tool http://www.livetrap.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=32569.
Posted By: iayogi17

Re: Transfer from Comstock - 06/15/15 07:35 PM

cage divider with a transfer cage that fits inside the Comstock. the Comstock door hold down the transfer cage and the transfer cage has a 1 way door system
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Transfer from Comstock - 06/15/15 07:55 PM

You're kidding, right? You transfer them just like any other cage. You have the transfer cage in the back of your truck with the

side against a wall. You have another cage pulled up on the opposite side. You open the door with your hand ( and put a stake through

it if you're afraid that you're going to get bit ) The animal runs into the transfer cage because it's darker in there and that's the

way they like it. I may have gotten bit a hundred times, put never when transferring an animal.. And I've been doing it like that for

25 years. I guess I need to make a video. I just thought everybody does it like that. I've never used a cage divider and I always

thought that a Comstock door setting tool was Jim's hand.
Posted By: Dirk Shearer

Re: Transfer from Comstock - 06/15/15 10:36 PM

Thanks all!!! It looks like the same methods we are using now for the most part.

Most of you who know me know I'm pretty simplistic (or simply simple if you like). I was hoping for a method that would not require using a divider or extra tool. Those are usually on the "other" truck, forgotten at the shop, or left at the last job site they were used on. With a limited number of Comstocks I sure like to put them right back without going to the shop cause the tools weren't available.

Re: Transfer from Comstock - 06/15/15 11:38 PM

Dirk, you just explained why I don't use dividers or even know what a setting tool is. They would always be in the "other truck".
Posted By: RF Wildlife

Re: Transfer from Comstock - 06/16/15 12:46 AM

What transfer cage do you use with the comstocks? I usually just rotate traps, but probably a good Idea to get with the times:)

Re: Transfer from Comstock - 06/16/15 02:35 AM

I love the 9x9x28 inch Tomahawk. We have it in three different styles but now we always buy the professional model. If you run out of

cages you can always use it for everything up to and including large raccoon. It also fits nicely inside all of the different

10x12x32 inch cages for easy transfer.
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: Transfer from Comstock - 06/16/15 04:31 AM

Yeah, wouldn't want to try it without the divider. Other than that, it's pretty much like any other trap-trap transfer, 'cept the Comstock is so bloody hard to set/open anyway.
Posted By: hvtrapper

Re: Transfer from Comstock - 06/16/15 08:17 AM

When transferring an animal, place the Comstock trap upside down, start opening the door and then use the transfer cage to force the trap door all of the way down/open and hold it.
Divider and setting tool do make it easier but have done many transfers w/o either.

I know what "back in the shop" is, but what's this "other truck" you all are speaking of? confused
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: Transfer from Comstock - 06/16/15 11:44 AM

Looks like everybody has it under control. Not difficult. Ironic, I rarely transfer, usually swap out, but this week I got 14 chucks in a couple of days at one spot and had a lot of dens to cover so a brought some old Safeguards to transfer into with rear slider doors and used dividers like everyone else. Takes but a minute, put the divider in the catch cage, put a rod in the door to hold it open, opened the slider put them together, pull the divider and away he goes. I'm always really careful on a transfer. Don't want to have to catch an escapee a second time, which is why I like swap out when I can.

Also transferred a skunk out of a client Havahart. Since the large Havahart door did not fit into the Safeguard (still using a divider and rod to keep the door open on the Havahart), I used a pair of dividers on each side of the trap like a fence between the traps and pushed them into the ground. Worked fine.

Re: Transfer from Comstock - 06/16/15 02:32 PM

hv, we have a Toyota Tundra, a Chevy cargo van, 2 Ford 150s, 3 Ford cargo vans, 3 Transit Connects, and I often steal my wife's

Sienna when she ain't looking. So when I lose something it can take years before I get it back.
Posted By: hvtrapper

Re: Transfer from Comstock - 06/16/15 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
hv, we have a Toyota Tundra, a Chevy cargo van, 2 Ford 150s, 3 Ford cargo vans, 3 Transit Connects, and I often steal my wife's

Sienna when she ain't looking. So when I lose something it can take years before I get it back.

Stealing my wife's Edge.................Hmmm? whistle
© 2024 Trapperman Forums