Home

Doubling Up On Chucks

Posted By: Jim Comstock

Doubling Up On Chucks - 06/14/15 04:07 AM

I set a chuck spot yesterday, saw some chucks while setting and managed to snag one before leaving in one of 11 den sets. Looked like a pretty good bunch of chucks, holes everywhere, 20 at a glance. Went out mid day today and caught 5, reset, added and changed, done by late afternoon. With nocturnal critters you set during the day, give the animals the night and check the following day, one round each night.

At 8 pm tonight it was cool. I was thinking, these guys are out am/pm, coming out again after I left, two shots at chucks each day if you choose to take advantage of it and want to wrap up a job quickly. So at dark I loaded up again. It was after 9 when I got going so I knew the chucks would be back in the den if not already caught. Had 3 more by 11 pm. Now the traps are clear for am tomorrow am when they will move again, which is almost like gaining a day on the program, getting a "double check" each day. This is feasible where there are a bunch to catch and its not too far from home.
Posted By: Starvalleytrappe

Re: Doubling Up On Chucks - 06/14/15 04:13 AM

Very nice! Most our chucks are in the woods or on golf courses around here.

By the way your traps are doing well for me. Caught a number of skunks so far
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: Doubling Up On Chucks - 06/14/15 09:34 PM

Glad the traps worked on the skunks.

Went back agin on the chucks today, 2 more, which should be just about it, 11 in 48 hours. Should be able to pull them tomorrow. Got 5 big ones, 6 small ones, 3 in each litter so far. You know they are not the same litter when you go to transfer one small one with two other small ones and he won't go without persuasion, not family.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums