Home

Skunk help......?

Posted By: North40R

Skunk help......? - 06/04/15 11:03 AM

I've got a sow skunk and 5 babies denned up at our local library that I can't get into a trap. The first night I used sardines for bait with a few marshmallows but the ants had my bait covered before I got out of sight. The last 3 nights I used marshmallows and Cheetos with shellfish oil suspended in the traps but the ants still cleaned the bait out by morning and no skunks. I haven't had traps out the past 6 nights but will put them back this afternoon with eggs for bait.

Any advice?
Posted By: sgs

Re: Skunk help......? - 06/04/15 11:24 AM

Positive set the den entrance with a double door trap.
Posted By: TDHP

Re: Skunk help......? - 06/04/15 11:30 AM

Apple and peanut butter works well on skunks, ground up into a paste is even better. Might have to pre bait. Good luck.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Skunk help......? - 06/04/15 12:00 PM

Make sure you put out a colony trap along side the main trap incase the little one comes looking for mama. JMO
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Skunk help......? - 06/04/15 01:25 PM

The first thing we would do is convince the library that they need to be sprayed for ants and that since we are already on site, we

can do it more reasonably than anyone else. Then do what sqs suggested and you've turned a pain into a financial pleasure. ( And you

can hang your advertising right underneath the "PLEASE, NO TALKING" sign )

Re: Skunk help......? - 06/04/15 02:52 PM

Thanks!
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Skunk help......? - 06/04/15 03:15 PM

Inner city? Find out what they're used to eating, DQ, KFC, Dog Crap ???
Posted By: Boco

Re: Skunk help......? - 06/04/15 03:17 PM

I have had good luck getting skunks into a cage,by burying a small bottle of castor lure under the cage trap with the top open and level with the ground,and some old fried bacon in the cage.I also cover the cage with an old piece of carpet.

Re: Skunk help......? - 06/04/15 05:12 PM

Everything likes castor! Lol! I knew the answer to all my problems was a bottle of backbreaker! Jk.

Thanks Boco!
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Skunk help......? - 06/04/15 05:29 PM

Well I hate to disagree with Castor and Pollux, but the most sure-fire way to catch a skunk is to set the cage for any other animal

in a terribly exposed area, like by the front door of a hospital, where you pray that you won't catch a skunk. This set-up assures

you that you WILL catch a skunk the very next day!

Re: Skunk help......? - 06/04/15 06:37 PM

Lol! They are pretty rare in my area and I've never caught one. I'll set the den this afternoon with Mr. Kirk's double door trap and see how it works out.

This is the den entrance. There is another hole on the back side of the tree but I'll block it off before I set this afternoon.
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Skunk help......? - 06/04/15 07:46 PM

Where was all this advise when I said I had a skunk issue. Good thing I read other threads
Posted By: Pez77

Re: Skunk help......? - 06/04/15 08:59 PM

I tend to stay away from baits as much as possible. Try to set it as to only give momma one choice. I will use a marsallow to give her a little visual aid. On the second trip to pick up momma. I would reset using smaller chipmunk or sq size cages set 5or 6 in the same way only giving them one option. This also depends on the size of the babies. I have done just fine removing the babies with snake tongs, however at a library you may not want to take that chance.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums