I Want You Guys To Answer This Question - 06/03/15 10:34 PM

In the area where you work, grey squirrels have an average litter of
a. 1 to 2
b. 2 to 3
c. 3 to 4
d. 4 to 5
Posted By: bjansma

Re: I Want You Guys To Answer This Question - 06/03/15 10:40 PM

I have to go with 3. But I don't know if it is 2-3 or 3-4.
Posted By: California cager

Re: I Want You Guys To Answer This Question - 06/03/15 11:24 PM

B
Posted By: RF Wildlife

Re: I Want You Guys To Answer This Question - 06/03/15 11:47 PM

C
Posted By: Albert Burns

Re: I Want You Guys To Answer This Question - 06/03/15 11:50 PM

Almost always 4 juveniles here. And already catching pregnant females again, strange year for sure. Woodchucks are the same. We just did a job where we caught 13 adults first weekend, six were females with young. In the next week we caught 23 of the 24 juveniles, not sure who got number 24.....
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: I Want You Guys To Answer This Question - 06/03/15 11:57 PM

b for my area
Posted By: Ron Peters

Re: I Want You Guys To Answer This Question - 06/04/15 12:07 AM

I see YOUR taking THE nwcoa TEST PAUL good luck
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: I Want You Guys To Answer This Question - 06/04/15 12:53 AM

Ron, if all the answers are like this one, you need more than luck!
Posted By: Getting There

Re: I Want You Guys To Answer This Question - 06/04/15 01:21 AM

c
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: I Want You Guys To Answer This Question - 06/04/15 01:23 AM

c
Posted By: TRapper

Re: I Want You Guys To Answer This Question - 06/04/15 03:36 AM

0....we dont have any grey squirrels in central Iowa...seen em in far southern iowa and thought about live trappin a bunch to release in des moines area as they are great money makers and typically do more damage more often than fox squirrels like we have
Posted By: ritrapper

Re: I Want You Guys To Answer This Question - 06/04/15 05:29 AM

C on average
Posted By: sgs

Re: I Want You Guys To Answer This Question - 06/04/15 10:58 AM

C

Re: I Want You Guys To Answer This Question - 06/04/15 04:59 PM

Well Hallelujah! This question was in fact part of the NWCOA test for Certified Wildlife Control Professionals. And I got it wrong!

I have never caught just two squirrels in a litter that I can ever recall. I have, however, caught more than four on several

occasions! Four has always been the most common litter size in our area. I just wanted to know if we were something special or if

more people agreed with me. The majority of you said c. was the answer, so NWCOA's answer of b. is wrong!
Posted By: Eric Arnold

Re: I Want You Guys To Answer This Question - 06/04/15 05:33 PM

Paul,

For me it is a combination. In Urban environments, my average was 4 to 5. In Suburban environments, it would be 2 to 3 while in agriculture areas (10+ acres) it is 3 to 4. What's even more surprising to me is that when litters aren't present, all of these areas only produce 1 and sometimes 2 squirrels so my question becomes if the average litter is 2 - 4, where do all the youngsters go?

Re: I Want You Guys To Answer This Question - 06/04/15 06:47 PM

Eric,
"Where do all the squirrels go?" is one of those customer questions I have trouble with. The last few years we have had an

over-abundance of all squirrels, with grey squirrels leading the pack. It is difficult to explain that by the end of the year, Mr.

and Mrs. Squirrel will have turned into a family of 10 and that even if 8 of those 10 are eaten, run over, or something else kills

them, we will still be left with over-population. I guess it's a good thing that squirrels taste good or the whole area would stink

to high heaven!
Posted By: Pez77

Re: I Want You Guys To Answer This Question - 06/04/15 09:29 PM

I typically tell customers on average you are looking at 1-4 babies per litter. That covers the variables such as predators or vehicles or just 1 or 2 babies not surviving. But most of my jobs usually have 3-4 juv. In regards to squirrels, how often do you guys run across a site that only contains mature males? I have had it happen once or twice in the past few years but 4 times this year. One time it was a gay couple and they had a rainbow flag flying high in the yard LMAO
Posted By: swampdonkey

Re: I Want You Guys To Answer This Question - 06/04/15 11:38 PM

Majority of the time...4 ....when I see only 3 ..I figure one died...
© 2024 Trapperman Forums