Home

Questions for beginning

Posted By: John Shade

Questions for beginning - 06/03/15 09:04 PM

I just got my Nuisance animal trapping liscense and was wondering what live traps you guys recommend for raccoons mainly. And what do you guys charge for coyotes, raccoons, and groundhogs.Thanks
Posted By: Throw Back

Re: Questions for beginning - 06/03/15 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: John Shade
I just got my Nuisance animal trapping liscense and was wondering what live traps you guys recommend for raccoons mainly. And what do you guys charge for coyotes, raccoons, and groundhogs.Thanks

A search of the archives will help, but I will answer anyway.

There are so many quality traps out there; Advanced trap, comstock, tomohawk, AES, wickencamp, etc.

I reccomend getting some two doors for versatility. 9x11x24 up to 10x12x30. Much bigger is kinda silly for raccoons. trust me, I own bigger, a lot.

Price is always going to be debatable, but dont worry about what others do. Find out how much it cost YOU to operate, and to pay yourself, insurance, retirement, everything. That sets your projected hourly.

If you go by per animal, figure out how long it takes to setup=setup fee, then how long you think it will take to handle every animal=per animal.

OR

How long you think it will take to be there for a set number of time, handling everything, multiplied by hours for a flat fee.

Thats what I do.

Re: Questions for beginning - 06/03/15 09:46 PM

Thanks for the reply, i will look into the traps you named. I already have one retirement plan with my job i have now, i want to trap nuisance for some extra money. I think i will also determine the price the same way you do yours. Thanks again.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Questions for beginning - 06/03/15 10:06 PM

Mr. Slade, while I don't disagree with Throw Back, there is only one cage on his list that you will probably never have to repair and

that cage is the Wickenkamp. It is certainly not as versatile but they certainly are reliable. AES doesn't make a raccoon cage that I

know of and Tomahawk is building a couple of outstanding raccoon cages. And like Throw Back says, a couple of two door Comstock or

Advanced for those hard to catch coons is a great idea.
Posted By: Ron Scheller

Re: Questions for beginning - 06/04/15 04:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
there is only one cage on his list that you will probably never have to repair and that cage is the Wickenkamp. It is certainly not as versatile but they certainly are reliable.

Yep. My Wickenkamps are now over 30 years old and still working.... never needed repairs! I use them for coons and groundhogs, so they are abused by the animals. I have some of every other brand imaginable, and each brand or style has a place.

Re: Questions for beginning - 06/04/15 11:38 AM

I was looking at those cage traps, they dont cost much compared to the others. Im thinking i may order a few in a month or so. I may also have to get a 2 door and see how that does, i have never used one.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Questions for beginning - 06/04/15 02:02 PM

Can you make the FTA convention in a few weeks, I see Mr Bethel is a dealer and he carries some good cages if you want to save on shipping and get a first hand look at them.

If you can make the National I'm sure you'll see even more variety if your not in a hot hurry for traps.

Re: Questions for beginning - 06/04/15 10:00 PM

I dont think i will be able, me and my dad are going to be doing a roofing job in a few weeks.
If i am able, where is the cconvention at?
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: Questions for beginning - 06/04/15 11:11 PM

FTA national convention is at the LaGrange County 4-H Fairgrounds in LaGrange, IN. It is June 25-27, 2015. Good place to look at equipment and talk to people in the business first hand. Hope you make it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums