Home

Exotic Vipers

Posted By: Phil Nichols

Exotic Vipers - 06/01/15 12:54 AM

Anyone have experience with exotic vipers (puff adder, cobra, etc.) A customer has a son who collects them, along with spiders, scorpions and feeder mice. She says he has mental issues, and suddenly vacated his room and has not been heard from for 2 weeks. She called to see if we would go in and clean it out since she is moving.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Exotic Vipers - 06/01/15 01:17 AM

No experience at all but that never stopped me before. I can actually picture my wife screaming at me for being a lunatic as I jump

into my van and head for the kids bedroom. I had a friend who owned a small zoo in central Wisconsin. A renter in the Carolinas

skipped town and left a caged jaguar in his room. My friend was called, flew out there and flew back with his jaguar. It was one of

coolest animals in his little zoo and that cat stayed very healthy on a diet of car killed whitetail deer. Go get 'em Phil. ( I guess

you could put me down as a donor if you need blood )

Re: Exotic Vipers - 06/01/15 02:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
No experience at all but that never stopped me before. I can actually picture my wife screaming at me for being a lunatic as I jump

into my van and head for the kids bedroom. I had a friend who owned a small zoo in central Wisconsin. A renter in the Carolinas

skipped town and left a caged jaguar in his room. My friend was called, flew out there and flew back with his jaguar. It was one of

coolest animals in his little zoo and that cat stayed very healthy on a diet of car killed whitetail deer. Go get 'em Phil. ( I guess

you could put me down as a donor if you need blood )

I am just a middleman Paul. I funnel leads to the network I have in PA. One of the people involved is my grandson who actually has a lot of reptile experience and he will not do anything stupid.

ps don't need your blood unless it is some sort of superhero fluid.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Exotic Vipers - 06/01/15 05:45 AM

That is actually one of my greatest fears. While snakes don't bother me, I have a very healthy respect for them, and I know all my natives I fear rolling on one and having a what the (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) moment with some exotic some fool snuck in.
Posted By: Coondog6

Re: Exotic Vipers - 06/01/15 12:06 PM

Eric Mc Cool he is the expert in exotics.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Exotic Vipers - 06/01/15 02:29 PM

Mental issues and highly venomous snakes.There's a recipe for disaster.I haven't handled those exotic venomous species but I would say,I'd want to identify the species first.Puff adders are the fastest striking of all the venomous snakes.They may look lethargic but I would never get within their zone.As far as cobras,I'd want to know if any were spitters.

Keep in mind that the antivenon for those exotics,is in Miami so there can be no mistakes.I would want to have an assistant that could handle himself if they needed to be removed from their cages and I'd only use tongs,no grabbing behind the head.I'm sure it goes without saying that a scouting trip would be in order to find out what,how many and how big are they.Then,where do they go from there?I know if a if freezer euthanised
,they would have some value on the taxidermy market.

There are quite a few herpetologists in PA.Possibly one could be located that has experience handling those species and some may even have an interest in the specimens.

Re: Exotic Vipers - 06/01/15 08:01 PM

Thanks all for the good advice.
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Exotic Vipers - 06/02/15 04:53 PM

Light match....open door...throw in gas then match. Few less of those snakes in world equals a good thing
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Exotic Vipers - 06/03/15 04:35 PM

Might check with the local Zoo for advice on handling/disposition. I'd be worried that the Dingbat had let a few of them loose, or that he's laying dead under the bed or something. "JEEZE".
© 2024 Trapperman Forums