Home

Sexing a beaver

Posted By: Jason Turner

Sexing a beaver - 05/30/15 03:38 AM

Don't laugh at this 😃 but man this is tough for me....what's the best way to tell what you've caught if there's no showing teets early in the year? Ask for ID?
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Sexing a beaver - 05/30/15 04:05 AM

Are you married? Guaranteed that if so, your wife will know immediately. Just saying..............
Posted By: Boco

Re: Sexing a beaver - 05/30/15 04:11 AM

You will know right away when you remove the castors.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Sexing a beaver - 05/30/15 04:37 AM

Are you trying to determine gender of live beaver or dead beaver? If on live beaver, I have about a 50% chance of guessing correctly. On a dead beaver, the sex can usually be determined by pinching the skin just above the castor gland.

If you are not saving the castors, open the skin to expose the castor gland. If it is a male, you can see its manhood. This is shown in picture 5 in the below link. This is what can be felt by pinching the skin, above the castor gland, on an unskinned beaver.
http://www.trapperman.com/trapperman/beaver_castor_removal.html

Re: Sexing a beaver - 06/01/15 02:44 AM

Sorry, havent been on much recently...I'm trying to identify the sex of dead beavers I've caught.

Re: Sexing a beaver - 06/02/15 01:55 AM

LA, great link-- I got it now! I bet I can find it now.
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: Sexing a beaver - 06/02/15 03:10 AM

On a related subject, how does one sex a groundhog? All I've ever seen was a weird little white thing with 5-6 nubs on it in the genital area.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Sexing a beaver - 06/02/15 06:20 AM

I am thinking it is Preeertytiti easy right now???//// BUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuutttttt when I get TA thinking things seem a little bit ?? whistle

Winks thinking,,,,

Click down delow..............

Click to reveal..
MaDE ya LoOK

Re: Sexing a beaver - 06/03/15 01:37 AM

laugh
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Sexing a beaver - 06/06/15 01:18 PM

Trapstickman found out that sexing a live beaver can be quite a challenge.

Re: Sexing a beaver - 06/07/15 01:48 PM

MnMan, I tried that but the darn things won't sit still long enough for me to get a good look! Too bad they don't wear pink or blue 'socks' or hats like they do at the hospital!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums