Home

Help! I Need Some Quick Input

Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Help! I Need Some Quick Input - 05/27/15 10:12 PM

Ford has delayed the 2015 F-150 ( That I ordered in Dec. ) until the end of August, so I cancelled. I hate pick-ups anyway so I

need your opinions. What do I look for now? A 2014 F-150, a Chevy, a Toyota, a Dodge Ram. What's your choice? It will also need a

cap and ladder rack if that sways your opinion any.
Posted By: HD_Wildlife

Re: Help! I Need Some Quick Input - 05/27/15 10:51 PM

Toyota.
Posted By: DaveK

Re: Help! I Need Some Quick Input - 05/27/15 10:55 PM

Anything, but new.
Posted By: California cager

Re: Help! I Need Some Quick Input - 05/27/15 11:03 PM

Toyota
Posted By: WPS

Re: Help! I Need Some Quick Input - 05/27/15 11:30 PM

Toyota
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Help! I Need Some Quick Input - 05/27/15 11:33 PM

Toyota Tacoma's are just too small. I have had a T100 for many years as a local run about truck and trapping vehicle. It has an 8 ft. bed and just the size truck I would want without going to another full size truck. We do have full size trucks which are needed for carrying the needed ladders and lengths for various heights of need. But they just don't make a good mid size truck anymore with an 8 ft bed.
Posted By: Tylercraiglow

Re: Help! I Need Some Quick Input - 05/27/15 11:45 PM

A different dealer??
Posted By: RF Wildlife

Re: Help! I Need Some Quick Input - 05/28/15 12:29 AM

Toyota tundra is what I use on my 2nd for this line of work. Last one did over 230,000 miles only needing tires, and a timing belt. The gas mileage is a little less than the others, but makes up for it in a big way for reliability IMO.

Re: Help! I Need Some Quick Input - 05/28/15 12:34 AM

Tyler, it's not the dealer; it's the Ford Motor Co. From what I've read, a lot of people agree with Bob Jameson. We have a 2012

Tundra and I'm not impressed. Dodge, GMC, and Chevy were rated well ahead of Nissan and Toyota. And of course they couldn't rate the

new Fords because they can't get any either. Maybe it's that aluminum body and I dodged a bullet by cancelling.
Posted By: redbone

Re: Help! I Need Some Quick Input - 05/28/15 11:20 AM

Paul, we have had one at work since Feb. The dealer up the the road in Des Moines shows 118 of them on their lot.
Posted By: Throw Back

Re: Help! I Need Some Quick Input - 05/28/15 02:48 PM

Break out of the old routine Paul, it's time to try something new, like a vespa
Posted By: Nic Pallo

Re: Help! I Need Some Quick Input - 05/28/15 03:10 PM

Yota
Posted By: Kurt in Va

Re: Help! I Need Some Quick Input - 05/28/15 03:53 PM

Maybe its not ford, its your dealer not being big enough. There are 2015's on the large city lots here but not the smaller cities and towns. The dealers who move the most for ford will get first deliveries. Same happened to us looking at jeeps our small town dealer could not get all the models, but the large dealer in the city had six of each model. Maybe you can order from a larger city dealer.
2015 ram 1500 gets 29 hyw if mileage is a big factor.

Kurt Temple

Re: Help! I Need Some Quick Input - 05/28/15 09:28 PM

I believe the problem is the 8 foot box, 2 wheel drive, and regular cab. If we go with the extended cab, 6 ft.box, ( but I still want

2 wheel drive ) I think I can get one tomorrow. And that might be what we end up doing. Since we don't plow snow, I have no idea what

we would do with 4wd.
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: Help! I Need Some Quick Input - 05/28/15 11:44 PM

I have a 2013 F150. 2 wheel drive, cab and 1/2 with 6 1/2 ft. box with topper. 5.0 letter engine. Get 16 miles per gal. Have 38 thousand miles on it. Only time it is to the dealer is for oil changes. Very happy.

Re: Help! I Need Some Quick Input - 05/29/15 12:56 AM

You guys that live on the flat ground and don't get off the highway much can get by with the 2 wheel drive for a lot of the time. I do on and off road use with our vehicles so a 2 wheel drive truck would be like going back to the stone age. With our hills and snow and pasture/prairie driving in the winter months just wouldn't work for me.

I have a difficult time getting in and out of some places with a 4x4 at times. For the spring, summer and early fall 2 wheel drive would be adequate on hardtop or gravel bottom roads.

Re: Help! I Need Some Quick Input - 05/29/15 01:15 AM

Bob, I don't envy you. The people that live on the last stretch of gravel road in our city, had to get together and sign a petition

to keep it from being paved. Of course, if the weather is so bad that you need 4WD, you probably can stay in bed because you haven't

caught anything and there's no pests to spray anyway. To be perfectly honest, I believe that the plowing, salting, and sanding has

improved an awful lot since I was a kid.

Re: Help! I Need Some Quick Input - 05/29/15 01:32 AM

I agree road maintenance has improved greatly since my younger years. However our winters are getting worse with more snow/ice accumulation and colder temps it seems in the last several years. So the road maintenance doesn't do much for the ice conditions around here. Ice is just plain bad everywhere you live.

Those squirrels don't seem to care about the weather too much. They den up briefly then its back to business as usual.

For nuisance work you are right with respects to catches not occurring for the most part due to conditions. They know when to curl up and sleep with their nose in their butts until the weather is more favorable. I guess that is how they keep their core temps stable to survive. I wonder if they have to watch what they eat when they anticipate a storm front coming in.:)

But I am still running coyote or cat sets regardless of the weather. Predators still have to work for dinner most nights. They may lay up for a storm but get back at it as soon as the front moves along.
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: Help! I Need Some Quick Input - 05/30/15 07:33 PM

[ Since we don't plow snow, I have no idea what

we would do with 4wd.[/quote]
Geez, Wink, I got a wife who wouldn't believe that statement...you being from The Great White North, and all. She thinks two inches of snow is the end of the world!
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Help! I Need Some Quick Input - 05/30/15 08:16 PM

Don't know where your at, but there's a post on "Talk" about a Min dealer that's giving away a pistol or a mower with each purchase!

Cloquet Ford Dealership, in Cloquet, Min.

Re: Help! I Need Some Quick Input - 05/30/15 11:40 PM

Thanks BigBob, now I know. It's 7 hours and 10 minutes or 430 miles. Not that far from Wisconsin, just a long ways from my part of

Wisconsin. Maybe that dealership is trying to attract Texans. I understand that they could have open carry down there. I can just

picture those guys comparing the size of their guns every chance they get! Half of the guys in my platoon were from Texas. They

actually made basic training almost bearable.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Help! I Need Some Quick Input - 05/31/15 08:05 PM

They can be a hoot alright!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums