Home

Ground squirrels

Posted By: Idahotrapguy

Ground squirrels - 05/24/15 03:53 AM

Having issues controlling ground squirrels on rural cemeteries. Been setting traps at the holes but their are so many with the new crop of babies coming out that I can't gain any ground. Anyone use any poisons with any luck?
Posted By: California cager

Re: Ground squirrels - 05/24/15 04:15 AM

Haven't tried poison but I use cages and put conibears over there holes with good luck
Posted By: iayogi17

Re: Ground squirrels - 05/24/15 12:01 PM

just need a badger or two to move in
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: Ground squirrels - 05/24/15 01:04 PM

I have a trap that works well on the 13 lined ground squirrels. However, I would guess, that you are talking about the bigger Richardson ground squirrels. No experience with them.
Posted By: trapperroscoe

Re: Ground squirrels - 05/26/15 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim Bethell
I have a trap that works well on the 13 lined ground squirrels. However, I would guess, that you are talking about the bigger Richardson ground squirrels. No experience with them.

what trap do you use for the 13 striped squirrels?
Posted By: Sosalty

Re: Ground squirrels - 05/26/15 04:58 PM

The area around Bakersfield, CA is very much overrun with ground squirrels of several types this time every spring. The golf courses bounded by vineyards are especially vulnerable. However, after a brief spike of babies Feb thru April, they get control. They use a pvc upside down 'T' apparatus that's capped to keep out the rain. Usually a 3" tube about 3'-4' high that's sits on top and adapts from 3" to a 2" 'T' on the ground, so keep larger critters out of it. Simply fill with poisoned grain. I think I've seen the poisoned grain, listed for other rodents, in Home Depot and Lowe's.

All the rural golf courses in Kern County use the poison grain.
Posted By: Throw Back

Re: Ground squirrels - 05/26/15 11:01 PM

We're not allowed to use poison out here I believe. May seem silly, but have you tried using positive sets? Tiny nose cone but,might work. If the numbers are that high and it's rural with few people could you go early weekday mornings with a pellet gun?
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: Ground squirrels - 05/27/15 01:48 AM

It would seem like a gray squirrel sized double door trap and nose cone over the hole would work. I shot a bunch of them in California with a .22 mag and they seemed to be just about the same size as a gray squirrel as I recall.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Ground squirrels - 05/27/15 02:29 AM

Wow! Those have got to be some lunkers. Our 13 lined are just a little longer than a chipmunk.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums