Home

Advice on turtles

Posted By: Benny

Advice on turtles - 05/16/15 06:23 PM

Gotta job the place is so eat up with wildlife that the turtles are all over the place.
Never gets cold enough to really put them away for awhile so winter trapping
the beaver is out as a solution.
How do you deal with this problem?

Thanks in advance!
Benny
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Advice on turtles - 05/16/15 07:11 PM

Caught 3 beaver and 2 giant snappers so far on a beaver job...hard to avoid the crappin things
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Advice on turtles - 05/16/15 08:27 PM

You probably know what I'm going to say...snare em. Bodygrippers in chanels don't work when turtles are involved.
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Advice on turtles - 05/16/15 09:40 PM

Try drowning rigs with foot holds and create slides that are to narrow for the big turtles set your tension higher on your pans so small turtles can't set them off
Posted By: Kirk De

Re: Advice on turtles - 05/16/15 09:51 PM

At several NTA,s I showed how to avoid turtles using several methods. On foot hold- drown sets, you make a shallow shelf that the turtles swim to and climb. Much like a shallow pocket. On the water side(in front of the shelf) set your foothold in about 7-8" water or deeper if a steep bank. The turtle will come in climb bank not setting off trap. The beaver will come and have to climb, putting his foot down, and get caught.

You can use offset- sets with scent using snares, conibears, and cage traps.

There are two models of cage traps, when set correctly, will avoid the turtles and catch the beaver.
Posted By: Benny

Re: Advice on turtles - 05/16/15 11:35 PM

No deep water in this system, probably 3 foot in the deepest holes and they are way off the bank.
Posted By: Kirk De

Re: Advice on turtles - 05/16/15 11:49 PM

Use a long chain or the other methods mentioned.
Posted By: trapperpaw

Re: Advice on turtles - 05/17/15 05:58 AM

Use sets to avoid as described and get a jerry Schilling turtle trap. They are delicious and or you can release them when your done.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Advice on turtles - 05/17/15 02:11 PM

Thanks Paul. I don't have any beaver jobs but I do have two snapper jobs that I need to do.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums