Home

Squirrel

Posted By: Zim

Squirrel - 04/23/15 02:24 AM

Probably been beat to death on this forum (I am usually on Trapper Talk) trying to help out a friend who has a problem with red squirrels getting in his garage. I have newspaper tubes and 110's and 120's that I use for mink. Thinking that will work... suggestions for bait?

Thanks, Zim
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Squirrel - 04/23/15 03:13 AM

I've never tried Conibears on red squirrels so I'm a little skeptical but I know red squirrels around here seem to like black walnuts

smeared with a good squirrel paste bait.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Squirrel - 04/23/15 03:35 AM

cut a sponge into strips about 1/2-3/4" wide and 2-3" long.

pinch trigger wires together and thread onto 110 trigger wires, 1 sponge per 110.

smear peanut butter onto 2 sides of sponge.
Posted By: 1st RiverRat

Re: Squirrel - 04/23/15 04:11 AM

A very sensitive trigger would help as would a few kernels of corn on the PB for eye appeal
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Squirrel - 04/23/15 01:15 PM

Hey, if peanut butter works for red squirrels in your area, use it! It has never been that effective up here and I use On Target

squirrel paste instead. I do, however, have some cherry/chocolate peanut butter that I save for grey squirrels that have a refined

taste in cuisine.
Posted By: Albert Burns

Re: Squirrel - 04/23/15 10:17 PM

We have good luck with Victor Rat traps with the large yellow pans. Mount it as close to the entry point as you can, put some peanut butter and sunflower seeds on it, and start killing them. The only other Squirrel bait we will use is also like Paul,On Target Squirrel Paste. That stuff will catch anything that walks,and smells good enough to make a sandwich with.

Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Squirrel - 04/24/15 12:20 AM

I like the copper trigger rat traps. I wrap a kernel of corn in it so they have to jerk on the trigger to get the corn out.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Squirrel - 04/24/15 12:21 AM

Originally Posted By: traprjohn
cut a sponge into strips about 1/2-3/4" wide and 2-3" long.

pinch trigger wires together and thread onto 110 trigger wires, 1 sponge per 110.

smear peanut butter onto 2 sides of sponge.

How do you stabilize it?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums