Home

Star nose moles

Posted By: RF Wildlife

Star nose moles - 04/09/15 08:02 PM

Having trouble catching star nose moles on a few jobs this year. I usually use Steve's molinator traps and have no trouble at all, in fact I find star nose moles easy to catch as a norm. This year pretty much all the jobs I have with them the tunnels are completely under water, not half full as normal. The traps do not cover the whole tunnel, am having limited success angling the traps so they are used like a ramp. I have caught a few backwards seems like they used the trigger like a diving board. I have never tried the loop style traps, and wondering if anyone can recommend one that is small enough for star-nose? Better ideas also welcome:)

Been a strange year so far for me not one ground hog job yet usually swamped by now. Bats and moles are the two most common calls so far. Great being moles are my favorite and bats are the biggest money maker:)
Posted By: roe

Re: Star nose moles - 04/09/15 08:14 PM

Try importing a couple of samples from flatpacktrap.co.uk

You can set in fully flooded tunnels and still catch. I've done it a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) of alot, though it surprises me each time.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Star nose moles - 04/09/15 11:07 PM

Cut thin strips of luan or 1/4 plywood the width of the tunnel 6" long. Open the runs by cutting out a sod piece. Press the luan strip into the bottom of the run below the tunnel level slightly. Set each trap on top of the piece of wood then replace the cut sod with the tunnel impression formed into the covering sod. Seal out all light and air flow.

If needed select a narrower run diameter or reform the tunnel by hand by placing a piece of short pipe to establish the diameter you wish to constrict the tunnel size to, forcing the animal to follow the flow and space you have established.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Star nose moles - 04/10/15 01:32 AM

Whenever I have trouble with steve's traps I put out nomole traps. They don't need to be bedded.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums