Home

mink in koi ponds

Posted By: TRapper

mink in koi ponds - 04/03/15 11:52 AM

How many of you get these calls...gotten 3 in last 3 weeks...been settin bottom edge sets in koi ponds...got one mink so far....do you do anything different?
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: mink in koi ponds - 04/03/15 01:06 PM

0 in 17 years.
Posted By: JBarnes6767

Re: mink in koi ponds - 04/03/15 02:13 PM

I have gotten a few of these calls. I had my best luck setting mink boxes with 120's and baiting them with gold fish in the back near the ponds edge or under a deck near by. The last job like this the customer waited till she had no Koi left, she said 300 were taken, before she called me. Never caught the mink in that case as it was no longer in the area. you may want to install a trail cam to see how often they are coming to the ponds as I have seen them only come by once a week or so.

Good luck!
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: mink in koi ponds - 04/03/15 02:19 PM

I'm very adjustable to what I use. I've caught them in Conibears, cages, and stop-loss. I like putting a stop-loss in the fast water

because mink just can't stay away from the sound of running water and I know I won't normally catch any fish there.
Posted By: Sharpbees

Re: mink in koi ponds - 04/03/15 05:23 PM

No mink, but did have a call for otter cleaning out a guys koi pond last fall. They had already cleaned his fish out. He took pictures to show me but since the food source was dried up the otters moved on. I told him to call if he had problems in the future but I think his koi keeping days were over from the way he talked.
Posted By: pops

Re: mink in koi ponds - 04/04/15 01:45 AM

We get about a dozen calls a year in our area.

Re: mink in koi ponds - 04/07/15 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: pops

So what is your go capture method....already caught one koi in a bottom edge in a pond

Re: mink in koi ponds - 04/07/15 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: TRapper
Originally Posted By: pops

So what is your go capture method....already caught one koi in a bottom edge in a pond

We get the calls but not many committals once you quote them the price. Have had luck though using tube traps with a plastic frog wired to the pan for eye appeal.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: mink in koi ponds - 04/07/15 09:37 PM

Anyone ever try doing one of these jobs in July? Bait spoils quick and insects eat whats left. Tough situation all around.

Re: mink in koi ponds - 04/07/15 10:53 PM

I have not had anyone turn me down because of price. If you can afford a koi pond and the costly koi that go with it, you can

certainly afford me. And if I used bait for mink at koi ponds I would catch 27 raccoons for every mink.
Posted By: Kirk De

Re: mink in koi ponds - 04/07/15 11:25 PM

Quote:
Anyone ever try doing one of these jobs in July? Bait spoils quick and insects eat whats left. Tough situation all around.

Try a trap with several gold fish, on a stringer, in the back of the trap. Set trap in 3-4 inches of water. Use trap with bait access door, if possible. If double door, place bait in middle of trap.

If using wire trigger bend wires to just above water level and use a 4 way trigger.

If using pan trigger, choose a trap with a wire pan that sets high and place bait just past pan and secure so fish won,t interfere.

Re: mink in koi ponds - 04/08/15 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
I have not had anyone turn me down because of price. If you can afford a koi pond and the costly koi that go with it, you can

certainly afford me. And if I used bait for mink at koi ponds I would catch 27 raccoons for every mink.

Couldn't agree more on baited sets and coons, you could times 4 on that in my area LOL!!!! As for the price by the time most people contact us they don't have any or very few left to protect.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: mink in koi ponds - 04/08/15 05:58 PM

What about a ScareCrow, motion activated sprinkler.

I've used them successfully with Vultures, Great Blue Herons and Raccoon...so it should work on mink.

Getting it set the right height to spray/deter optimally takes some trial and error.

Re: mink in koi ponds - 04/08/15 09:24 PM

Please put out a good camera. I would love to see a big buck mink kill your sprinkler.

Re: mink in koi ponds - 04/09/15 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
Please put out a good camera. I would love to see a big buck mink kill your sprinkler.

Hahahahahahaha

Re: mink in koi ponds - 04/11/15 02:16 AM

just got a text a few hours ago that I have caught my second mink in a bottom edge set...headed there tomm morning to get him or her

Re: mink in koi ponds - 04/11/15 08:26 PM

Re: mink in koi ponds - 04/11/15 08:27 PM

Arrow to left is bottom edge location and arrow to right u can see mink feet n tail
Posted By: Nic Pallo

Re: mink in koi ponds - 04/12/15 02:42 PM

Ive live trapped them on the edges using fish as bait in the cages.

Re: mink in koi ponds - 04/12/15 03:39 PM

And it's always females and young males. I haven't caught a really big mink at a koi pond yet. But their size doesn't stop them from

raising havoc.

Re: mink in koi ponds - 04/12/15 04:04 PM

Well paul my size makes the mink look small...but both mink so far have been big males
© 2024 Trapperman Forums