Home

My first ADC job is a skunk

Posted By: Michigan Trappin

My first ADC job is a skunk - 03/06/15 12:43 AM

Ok I need help guys. There is a skunk in thus guys basement/crawlspace he tried trapping it and it just ate his bàit. Now it ate mine (I'm thinking mice are eating bait)

Anyway it sprays about every 4 days So I reset with a apple and marshmallows as bait. Any suggestions would be great
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: My first ADC job is a skunk - 03/06/15 12:53 AM

Need to know what kind of trap you are using. That would help.

Re: My first ADC job is a skunk - 03/06/15 01:15 AM

I put a small single door cage trap inside a black aluminum box I made. It is black on the inside white on the outside Is will send a pic

Re: My first ADC job is a skunk - 03/06/15 01:19 AM

Ok these are it

Thx in advance
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: My first ADC job is a skunk - 03/06/15 01:20 AM

The smallest cage that I use for adults ( Which is all you will catch this time of year ) is 24x7x8. Some times they will force

themselves in smaller cages but not often. P.S. I wrote the first sentence before you posted the pictures. I counted 7x7x20 something.

You should be good. What are you using for bait?
Posted By: Throw Back

Re: My first ADC job is a skunk - 03/06/15 01:35 AM

Just to let you know winkie, I caught two juveniles this week out here.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: My first ADC job is a skunk - 03/06/15 01:40 AM

California ain't Michigan. ( And I'm betting those juveniles were probably delinquents )

Re: My first ADC job is a skunk - 03/06/15 01:46 AM

First I use tuna. Now I have apple and marshmallow. I can not even smell skunk in the house. But homeowner says it sprays at night and stinks up whole house. About every four days or so. There were tracks around house that led to a hole (the owner has closed it off). Not sure if skunk as the snow had melted a little

Re: My first ADC job is a skunk - 03/06/15 01:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
The smallest cage that I use for adults ( Which is all you will catch this time of year ) is 24x7x8. Some times they will force

themselves in smaller cages but not often. P.S. I wrote the first sentence before you posted the pictures. I counted 7x7x20 something.

You should be good. What are you using for bait?

Yep 7X7X24

Re: My first ADC job is a skunk - 03/06/15 02:27 AM

Zip tie the tuna down, or tie it suspending where the rat can't get it
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: My first ADC job is a skunk - 03/06/15 02:27 AM

Make sure the trigger is real loose and the bate is as far back as you can get it. If the homeowner closed the hole, is the skunk still inside or just passing through once in a while. If the skunk sprayed out side the hole, wind direction would make a difference in what the home owner smells.

Re: My first ADC job is a skunk - 03/06/15 02:37 AM

I know it's different demos Paul, just throwing it out there. And yes, they were delinquents, after there mother died they turned to the sstreets. Trespassing, burgarly, home invasions. Sad really
Posted By: Getting There

Re: My first ADC job is a skunk - 03/06/15 02:55 AM

I use those cloth bags with the draw string on the top. You can find them at your local farm co-op. They are used on fruit trees. I put the bait in the bag and then tie a knot in the bag and make a loop and used a paper clip and hook the strings on the clip and hang at the back of the trap. I make them ahead of time when at home. They work great. I would use Jack Macrail (spelling?) Run some of the juice from the front of the trap to the back. JMO
Posted By: luckylure69

Re: My first ADC job is a skunk - 03/06/15 03:11 AM

Unblock hole and make a positive set. That will tell you if he's there or not. Skunk smell will linger for weeks my guess is he sprayed once and some days are just worse than others with the odor.
Posted By: Ron Scheller

Re: My first ADC job is a skunk - 03/06/15 03:37 AM

Originally Posted By: luckylure69
Skunk smell will linger for weeks my guess is he sprayed once and some days are just worse than others with the odor.

Right on. Even after the skunk is removed or known to be gone, the homeowner will still say it sprays every so often... for 6 months to a year. If it sprayed inside (make sure its not outside and drifting in with air flow) you'll need to find the area and remove the dirt (if crawl space) and/or treat the area with an effective deodorizing product.

Re: My first ADC job is a skunk - 03/08/15 04:16 AM

Any update?

Re: My first ADC job is a skunk - 03/08/15 12:58 PM

No. The customer does not return calls. I have twice told them they need to call me every morning and let me know the status ( trap is in house so I have no access). They don't call. When they do I will go and so the positive set discussed earlier. Thx
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: My first ADC job is a skunk - 03/10/15 01:15 AM

I hate setting in a house for that very reason. I'll do everything I can to avoid it.

Re: My first ADC job is a skunk - 03/10/15 03:06 AM

Yep won't do that again without charging a premium If I could do beavers and coyotes all day I think I would be happy. But I know that's not realistic yet. But never been one to not dream
© 2024 Trapperman Forums