Home

How to become a Government Trapper?

Posted By: Lungbuster1

How to become a Government Trapper? - 02/12/15 11:41 PM

I just lost my job of 20 years this week. I've been doing some searches for a career change and I got to thinking about trapping.

How does one become a government trapper?
Posted By: Vinke

Re: How to become a Government Trapper? - 02/13/15 12:35 AM

apply the usda w/s....... they seam to hire people without ant experience in my area of WA
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: How to become a Government Trapper? - 02/13/15 02:02 PM

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wps/portal/banner/careers ....and be prepared to move..hope you're single.

I used to live in Payette/Fruitland area!..you anywhere near there?
Posted By: travellintrapper

Re: How to become a Government Trapper? - 02/13/15 02:13 PM

just a guess but id have to think those gvmt trapping gigs are extremely low paying. Why not start up a pest/wildlife control company of your own? most of us work locally in one location but there are several guys who run out of state on beaver and coyote jobs.

good luck
Posted By: Lungbuster1

Re: How to become a Government Trapper? - 02/13/15 02:28 PM

I'm in south central Idaho. I've been trapping for about 20 years.

I heard thru a friend it probably wouldn't pay very well, but it sounded like a fun job.

I'm going to check how I go about starting my own business. I probably have to be licensed thru the state.... I'm assuming anyways.

Thanks.
Posted By: Andrew N.

Re: How to become a Government Trapper? - 02/13/15 07:36 PM

Looked into it. With their salary it's under or right around $20k a year, and you need a degree. Yes, a degree to catch varmints.
Posted By: NV man

Re: How to become a Government Trapper? - 02/13/15 08:23 PM

I'd rather flip burgers for a living, than work for wildlife circuses.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: How to become a Government Trapper? - 02/13/15 08:28 PM

Thanks for the info, Livetrap. I will no longer criticize or make fun of WS technicians. ( Well, at least not any more than I would

the fast food worker ) At 20 grand a year, paying off your student loan and receiving social security would probably happen in the

same year.
Posted By: RedXVII

Re: How to become a Government Trapper? - 02/13/15 09:13 PM

I seen a Craigslist post in Chicago advertizing gov trappers for North Dakota. $65000 yr which sounds like a lot until you get out there and realize a one bedroom apartment is gonna run you $3000 a month and a gallon of milk is like $9
Posted By: RedXVII

Re: How to become a Government Trapper? - 02/13/15 09:15 PM

Forgot to mention the three other guys you have to share the apartment with. lol.
Posted By: wildlifeus

Re: How to become a Government Trapper? - 03/03/15 02:48 PM

How do you think they undercut us, low pay is just another way....
© 2024 Trapperman Forums