Home

cage trapping coyotes

Posted By: Kurt in Va

cage trapping coyotes - 02/10/15 04:52 PM

Since some states are moving to cage only, has the success rate of catching coyotes in cages improved?
Last time I read a thread on here,I think the consensus was a 15-25% rate, is that still the case?
Any new methods, trap type, setups?
Kurt Temple
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: cage trapping coyotes - 02/10/15 05:02 PM

I think you would be lucky to have 5% catch rate.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: cage trapping coyotes - 02/10/15 06:45 PM

I would welcome any information on even a 5% catch rate of adult coyotes in cages. That 15-25% rate must have been for newborns.
Posted By: Kurt in Va

Re: cage trapping coyotes - 02/10/15 08:42 PM

So no coyote trapping is done by ADC trappers in the cage only states because its less then a 5% success rate?
How are the conflicts handled?
Is it like California and Mountain lions, people take second place?
Posted By: Throw Back

Re: cage trapping coyotes - 02/10/15 08:47 PM

Heard better things about collarums, cheaper, easier, more effective
Posted By: swampdonkey

Re: cage trapping coyotes - 02/10/15 10:35 PM

Im in a cage only state (Mass.) Cage and Firearm, I should say ! On top of that, you need to be coyote certified ! ... I tried to cage trap a yote only one time..No Go ! .. I have harassed them and that's about it and I havn't gotten to many calls for them...My brother on the other hand ...he lives an hour from me and in a more densly populated area of Mass. and he gets calls a lot for yotes looking sick , denning under sheds and decks...his 25 cal. marauder takes care of all these guyz quickly..

Re: cage trapping coyotes - 02/10/15 11:01 PM

I always wonder how many of the people who say you can't do it have even tried and how many just say it.

Re: cage trapping coyotes - 02/10/15 11:05 PM

I never say you can't do something but I do say that in some cases, it isn't worth the effort.
Posted By: red mt

Re: cage trapping coyotes - 02/10/15 11:45 PM

A long time ago there was a guy name Larry Benett living in superior mt. Moved to cali.
Was snare guru and he caught quit a few coyotes in a couple cages he had that he made they were big. Big enough that new born calf walk in and walk out they had quilatine door on them.
All this took place 35 years ago he said he like catching this way just to have something to do and sell to urine collector friend he had. In a nother state. Larry pasted away 20 so years ago.
Lot of them were pups but a quit few were adults as well.
This took place when we had coyotes ,

Re: cage trapping coyotes - 02/11/15 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
I never say you can't do something but I do say that in some cases, it isn't worth the effort.

This, is very true. Those are big cages, and hauling them in seems like it would be a pain. I want to get one when the money becomes available just to know if I could do it, but right now, not worth it.

Re: cage trapping coyotes - 02/11/15 01:12 AM

What size would you use?
Posted By: Vinke

Re: cage trapping coyotes - 02/11/15 01:37 AM

I tried for 14 days to target coyotes and the closest I got was this,,,,,,,,,,

I eventually fit the trap with a electronic trigger then gave up

This is a picture of the track pattern on day

Posted By: Ron Scheller

Re: cage trapping coyotes - 02/11/15 02:20 AM

WCO's in the states that enact cage trapping only regs need to get their act together and QUIT taking all coyote calls. Let the problems escalate to the point where the public is outraged at losses of pets and farm animals. Watch how fast things change. Just like banning beaver trapping in Mass. After the population tripled and damages were massive, now I believe they simply give out permits for lethal trapping (330's) like there's no tomorrow. Let the idiots who vote for this see what actually happens in Nature when we aren't allowed to control populations.

Re: cage trapping coyotes - 02/11/15 02:51 AM

It's been banned hear a long time and I know very few who's who do it. Iv don't think it will do much Ron.

Re: cage trapping coyotes - 02/11/15 02:52 AM

How big is that Vinke?

Re: cage trapping coyotes - 02/11/15 02:54 AM

Wow! Mr. Scheller doesn't post an awful lot, but when he does, it's sure worth reading!

Re: cage trapping coyotes - 02/11/15 05:45 AM

Ron we still have opertunity for use of footholds under special permit, and if "we" don't do it the usda will.......
My business plan does not allow for them to take any more business then they have.!!!!

Urban coyotes are different then there wild counter part and can easily be removed,,,,my favorite tool is a can...........

Re: cage trapping coyotes - 02/11/15 05:46 AM

The post i did earlier was for fur,,not adc..........

Re: cage trapping coyotes - 02/16/15 03:45 AM

How is catch rate defined?
Posted By: Andrew N.

Re: cage trapping coyotes - 02/16/15 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Ron Scheller
WCO's in the states that enact cage trapping only regs need to get their act together and QUIT taking all coyote calls. Let the problems escalate to the point where the public is outraged at losses of pets and farm animals

x1,000,000
Posted By: KC135A

Re: cage trapping coyotes - 02/19/15 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Ron Scheller
WCO's in the states that enact cage trapping only regs need to get their act together and QUIT taking all coyote calls. Let the problems escalate to the point where the public is outraged at losses of pets and farm animals. Watch how fast things change. Just like banning beaver trapping in Mass. After the population tripled and damages were massive, now I believe they simply give out permits for lethal trapping (330's) like there's no tomorrow. Let the idiots who vote for this see what actually happens in Nature when we aren't allowed to control populations.

Then the locals will demand catch, 'sterilize' and release policies...

Re: cage trapping coyotes - 02/19/15 02:23 AM

It won't work. The coyotes will just adopt.
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: cage trapping coyotes - 02/21/15 02:36 AM

Haha!

Re: cage trapping coyotes - 02/21/15 02:42 AM

Probably adopt all the pitbull pound puppuies
Posted By: star flakes

Re: cage trapping coyotes - 02/21/15 03:00 AM

Cage traps like snares, traps or M 44's all require a different methodology. The above photo is perfect in showing how unattractive a live trap is to a coyote as it associates it with something that triggers the wary response, and the attractant is not convincing the animal to approach.
Just as with snares in electric fence agrarian areas make coyotes wary, the cage trap requires to be placed in a situation which it is blended in, and not sticking out like a double longspring trap.
I am not saying live traps are easy on coyotes. They require big footage and approaches of blending and attractants. As in all trapping, you are going to only skim the Darwin candidates not having a good day. The statistics on all capturing of wildlife is variable. The cage trap has less practical public information posted, so it's capture rate is lower. It will never approach the ease of a steel trap nor the ease of a snare or the convenience of a getter. It will though in niche crafted situations will produce. It just needs it's own version of a Dirt Hole, trail or mound to bring the odds up.
The good government trappers of a generation ago, relied on poison and aircraft to make control work easier. They still did not exterminate coyotes and only kept them in check. They did not publish their methods and those trappers who have studied cage traps for coyotes never publish their success as it does not prove to be wise to educate coyotes or your competition.

Re: cage trapping coyotes - 02/21/15 03:48 AM

I would guess that a reasonably large, walk through, two door, coyote cage would do a reasonable job of at least skimming the moron

coyotes. ( Right after you've caught the 35 raccoons, 18 opossum and 12 skunks that got to the cage first )
© 2024 Trapperman Forums