Home

Winter Business

Posted By: Coondog6

Winter Business - 02/06/15 03:45 PM

Hello All,

I am writing this from the great ice box called New Hampshire.

This is my third year doing ADC work. I expected business to be slow in the winter but, it is dead.

Is this to be expected?

Thanks

Chuck
Posted By: sgs

Re: Winter Business - 02/06/15 04:31 PM

Pretty much.

I've been getting an occasional squirrel call, most of which are mice.

It gets better in March once the skunks start breeding.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Winter Business - 02/06/15 04:40 PM

Yes Chuck, this is to be expected. That is why most of the ADC guys in the northern states are down in Florida, and the

Bahamas catching sand fleas before they crawl into the bikinis.. The rest of us are up here writing stupid stuff on the computer

'cause we're bored.

Re: Winter Business - 02/06/15 06:16 PM

Hey just got a raccoon job!

Come on spring.

Chuck
Posted By: ritrapper

Re: Winter Business - 02/06/15 06:35 PM

Dead here too!
Posted By: Throw Back

Re: Winter Business - 02/06/15 07:10 PM

I'm a little worried for spring, I am a full time student with two kids and I have had a steady 1-2 calls a week through out winter. I hope springs not too busy. OR, busy enough where I can hire a part timer

Re: Winter Business - 02/06/15 07:24 PM

I wouldn't worry. You'll probably only get 15 or 20 calls a day in the busy months. The secret is teaching the kids to set cages as

soon as they are old enough to crawl. They can get into a lot of places that you can't. And you want to space them out so that when

one gets too big, you have another one to take his or her place.
Posted By: Throw Back

Re: Winter Business - 02/06/15 07:48 PM

No more babies for me Paul, two and done.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Winter Business - 02/06/15 08:35 PM

I been hanging with Jimmy buffet............
Posted By: swampdonkey

Re: Winter Business - 02/06/15 10:37 PM

Coondog...As you already know , I'm from Mass. Normaly I will have very little to do , except stare at the walls during January and most if not all of Febuary...I don't know what took place or why me...but I havn't hardly slowed down much...in the month of Jan. , I was loaded with squirrel calls..mainly greys and reds ....a couple mouse calls here and there ...Bats in the living quarters ...which turned into some extent of interior sealing...church pigeons and attic clean-outs.....I am grateful for this winter flurry of work and look forward to spring( I say that now). What i'm saying is things could change for you at the snap of a whip...and this is how this buss. goes in New England....

Re: Winter Business - 02/06/15 11:53 PM

I've been hanging with a lot of Chinese buffets.

BUT THERE'S BOOZE IN THE BLENDER
AND SOON IT WILL RENDER
THAT FROZEN CONCOCTION THAT HELPS ME HANG ON
Posted By: bjansma

Re: Winter Business - 02/06/15 11:58 PM

I know somebody who sells attic restorations all summer long, takes deposits and schedules for winter for something to do when he knows animals are slow.
Posted By: swampdonkey

Re: Winter Business - 02/07/15 12:09 AM

Exactly... this is what I did last summer
Posted By: Trapper Don

Re: Winter Business - 02/07/15 05:46 PM

I have been in this business for over 20 years and had my own construction company for 17 before that. It's all seasonal work.
You have to plan like the two post above said. I would save jobs in const. that I could do indoors for winter and give a better price so I had work. As a WCO its work your butt off as the weather permits and then I spend all winter fixing everything I broke during the year. I had to put a new propane heater in my barn shop area this year and now at least I can just turn on the heat and work as I like. No more splitting wood, yeah! I still have a pile of traps to rebuild/repair and my UTV needs the tracks changed. I like the slower time of year to get caught up things like that. I use to go to WCT in winter but that ship sailed. I miss the boost I would get from talking with everyone and get excided for the coming season. NWCOA would be nice but most of the guys I know from years passed don't go. I have been looking for winter seminars in Vegas to attend. So far nothing that peaks my interest. Anyone know of any? Shot Show maybe??
Coondog. Just plan for the slow time and be glad you not sitting in a cubical doing taxes full time.
Oh yeah. I have spent a lot of time snow blowing this winter...what a hoot that is.
We are in the best business ever..enjoy the down time, embrace the busy times and live life to the fullest.
Going out to play with my new puppy. Have a wonderful day.
Don LaFountain
Posted By: Mike Hurley

Re: Winter Business - 02/07/15 05:51 PM

give me a "aman

Re: Winter Business - 02/07/15 11:55 PM

Well, I am glad handing going to Chamber of Commerce meetings passing out the business cards.

Chuck

Re: Winter Business - 02/08/15 01:50 AM

Great post Don! The Kriers and the Winkelmanns and I'm sure many others are just itching for a decent seminar in Vegas. We sure do

miss those fantastic shows.

Re: Winter Business - 02/08/15 02:21 PM

As a CPA you don't have to worry about employment during tax season. This year I am not doing taxes and focusing on my business.

Chuck
Posted By: travellintrapper

Re: Winter Business - 02/08/15 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
I wouldn't worry. You'll probably only get 15 or 20 calls a day in the busy months. The secret is teaching the kids to set cages as

soon as they are old enough to crawl. They can get into a lot of places that you can't. And you want to space them out so that when

My 4 year old who hasn't been to very many sites told a buddy of mine as he walked up to his house the other day he probably had bats getting in his dormer! I was speechless!
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: Winter Business - 02/08/15 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By: travellintrapper
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

My 4 year old who hasn't been to very many sites told a buddy of mine as he walked up to his house the other day he probably had bats getting in his dormer! I was speechless!

Kewl!

Re: Winter Business - 02/09/15 12:16 AM

Dave's right; 4 year olds are kewl! Our 4 year old grandson told me and gramma today that if we don't get him a basketball hoop and

backboard, he ain't comin here no more! ( He wants to grow up to be a basketball playing blackmailer )
© 2024 Trapperman Forums