Home

Sewer rats.............................

Posted By: Vinke

Sewer rats............................. - 02/02/15 10:06 PM

Anyone else deal with them accessing the roof from "stink pipes" ?????///////////

Posted By: BigBob

Re: Sewer rats............................. - 02/02/15 10:17 PM

Nope, but I've had Squirrels come down them from the roof and pack them with Walnuts!
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Sewer rats............................. - 02/02/15 10:29 PM

Our stink pipes on average around here are a bit high and smooth for them to be climbed by rats to make entry with our building designs. Most of ours pipes are Sch/40 pipe about 2" dia. extended up 15">20" or so up from the shingle surface.

Never have had any Norway rats determined to make entry from the roof via the stink pipes to our knowledge as of yet. But any
thing is possible as I have found over the years.

But we have had chipmunks enter an attic gable vent one time for sure. If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have thought it would have been a common thing for Chipmunks to do.

Being in the right place at the right time is all it takes to get educated to what an animal is known to do normally and then see first hand what they can or will do.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Sewer rats............................. - 02/02/15 11:28 PM

Squirrels but no rats. Our rats are afraid of heights just like some of our technicians.

Re: Sewer rats............................. - 02/03/15 02:05 AM

In Arizona it is common for them to access the roof from the sewer,,,,, Once on the roof they enter mainly though "T vents" as tile is very common and these vent do not come from the factory until recently with screening........

Once inside the attic they will chew at the schedule 40 black pipe for exit, making easy reentry /exit.......

by screening the top of the soil stack you block access to the roof, but on accusation customers still will hear scratching from within inside of the pipe...... often these are wider cast were the rat can not climb the larger sized pipe

My question is,,,,,,would hot sauce down the pipe be a deterrent?

Re: Sewer rats............................. - 02/03/15 03:33 PM

My question is,,,,,,would hot sauce down the pipe be a deterrent?

Answer: I'm just guessing here, but I think you would probably just encourage rats of a different nationality and culture.

Re: Sewer rats............................. - 02/03/15 04:05 PM

That is my worry because we are so close to mexico...........
Posted By: coney catcher

Re: Sewer rats............................. - 02/03/15 05:20 PM

I had one call were a woman had lifted the toilet seat to find a rat swimming around in the bowl, she was like a screaming banshee when she rang, they were getting on to the roof six houses away and coming down the stink pipe for about 10 feet and then traveling along at 90 degrees to the toilet.
A lot of the older buildings around us have cast iron sewer and stack pipes so they can get plenty of purchase to climb.

Re: Sewer rats............................. - 02/04/15 06:09 AM

I can not believe that me and a guy in England are the only ones how have anything in "Commons"............

They sell a "bowl" stopper over here for that specific situation,,,,,,.....I wonder it it would work on the main trunk tile?????????

T

Re: Sewer rats............................. - 02/04/15 03:10 PM

The only bowl stopper I know is my son.

Re: Sewer rats............................. - 02/04/15 03:18 PM

Re: Sewer rats............................. - 02/04/15 03:20 PM

Quote:
The only bowl stopper I know is my son.

Sucks to be the company janitor...............
Posted By: Talpa

Re: Sewer rats............................. - 02/05/15 02:34 PM

Hope more British help welcome.
Cut the stench pipe off in the loft space and fit a Durgo valve remove the upper section of pipe and make good the hole. How do the rats get on the roof in the first place? and stop that route.
I have had them come up from sewer like Coney Catcher and fitted the flapvalve at the outlet and sorted it also had them use cast rain water down pipes to access gutter and then roof.

Re: Sewer rats............................. - 02/06/15 02:44 AM

Quote:
Hope more British help welcome.

Welcome,,,, Nice to hear from someone who is dealing with the same issues....... I would think New York would also?///

We install wire fitted inside the pipe and "glued" using a lifetime sealant,,,above the roof line....

Got a video/audio text in the middle of the night from a gal that could hear them "trying" to make it up a 3" pipe...... They must be able to get some footing in the slime that accumulates on the sides,,, then when they get to the vent portion are stopped....

Is there a valve like the ones sold to install under the toilet that can be fitted in the main line?
Posted By: Talpa

Re: Sewer rats............................. - 02/06/15 08:44 AM

There are a couple over here.

http://www.vermend.co.uk/

http://www.snake-rat-frog-in-toilet.com/multiflap3.html

http://www.ratbarrier.co.uk/

not sure if they fit your pipe sizes.

Re: Sewer rats............................. - 02/06/15 04:48 PM

Thanks Talpa, that was interesting. We have an occasional "rat in a toilet" call but not that many.

Re: Sewer rats............................. - 02/06/15 08:37 PM

the trunk line install is what interest me,,,, But my guess that way i use toilet paper there could be back flow issues,,.....

I am starting my design process,,,...........

Re: Sewer rats............................. - 02/07/15 12:46 AM

Well at least you stopped using Sears catalogs.
Posted By: coney catcher

Re: Sewer rats............................. - 02/07/15 09:17 AM

I used a vermend rat blocker on a job, very expensive,but i tried to justify the price by telling the customer that they would not have to pay me again because the rat problem would be sorted, 6 months later a call for bad smells, on inspection sewer blocked rite at the vermend, one of the upstairs tenants had been putting baby wipes and stuff down the pan,it probably would have been allright if they had not, but you cant fix stupid.

Brian

Re: Sewer rats............................. - 02/07/15 08:46 PM

I did try the sear online version,,,,,,
© 2024 Trapperman Forums