Home

Fox?... No Mountain Lion!

Posted By: WPS

Fox?... No Mountain Lion! - 01/29/15 09:31 PM

this individual stops to check on his son's fox trap....
check out this link....scroll to the middle of the page
http://viral.buzz/video-mans-sets-fox-trap-catches-mountain-lion/
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Fox?... No Mountain Lion! - 01/29/15 09:48 PM

Good video-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=85027636&x-yt-ts=1422503916&v=x-6vr7lgKtw

Posted By: Getting There

Re: Fox?... No Mountain Lion! - 01/29/15 10:00 PM

thanks for sharing! outstanding.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Fox?... No Mountain Lion! - 01/29/15 10:05 PM

What kind of a cage was that? That lion wasn't exactly a small one.
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: Fox?... No Mountain Lion! - 01/31/15 04:34 AM

Yikes! The worst animal injury I've ever incurred was at the pleasure of a house cat...don't think I'd be doing that! The best part was him telling his wife "better roll up you car window" when he's two feet from the puma!
Posted By: Throw Back

Re: Fox?... No Mountain Lion! - 02/25/15 03:31 AM

Does anyone know the size of that trap? Caging lions interest me? Is this a fluke or a doable feat?
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Fox?... No Mountain Lion! - 02/25/15 04:20 AM

I'm going to go with fluke but that's just me.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Fox?... No Mountain Lion! - 02/25/15 05:09 AM

Throw Back,
Post your question on the TrapTalk forum. Several folks on that forum frequently catch mountain lions in cage traps, some on purpose, some by accident. I believe that Texas in the only state where foothold traps are legal for trapping mountain lions.
Posted By: NV man

Re: Fox?... No Mountain Lion! - 02/28/15 02:47 AM

Catching lions in a cage trap is about the same as catching a house cat. Only bigger. Mind you proper permitting needs to be in place. Beings as lions get in barns and around buildings a large cage trap is quite easily put into place. I use a home made one that is much stronger than the one in the video.

Re: Fox?... No Mountain Lion! - 02/28/15 03:05 AM

Whats the dimensions NV Man

Re: Fox?... No Mountain Lion! - 02/28/15 03:19 AM

3x3x6. So you can drag the killed goat(s) sheep or whatever into the back and still have room.

Re: Fox?... No Mountain Lion! - 02/28/15 03:40 AM

What gauge wire are you using? I suppose I would have to build this cage.

Re: Fox?... No Mountain Lion! - 02/28/15 04:03 AM

2x4" hog panel and I think 1 1/4 Angle 1/8 thick. Welded. With locking latch on door once it closes.

Re: Fox?... No Mountain Lion! - 02/28/15 04:05 AM

It's to heavy to lift by yourself but you can push it into the back of a truck ok.

Re: Fox?... No Mountain Lion! - 03/01/15 03:04 AM

Do you have any pictures of one caged? Baiting strategies? Baits? Do you brush in the cage?

Re: Fox?... No Mountain Lion! - 03/03/15 01:09 AM

No Pics in trap. Any lion work I've done has been within a night or two of the lion killing livestock/pets. Drag the livestock into the back of the trap and securely wire it there. Brushing the cage is alright if there is brush available however that can be limited in the barnyard... Putting the trap lengthwise along a fence or building or in a corner where access to the carcass is limited to the opening of the trap. The video above shows a great brushing job.

Sometimes other tools work better than a large cage. Snares, for example, are a great tool and you can carry many. Cubby sets and multiple trail sets can greatly reduce non target catches. (under deadfalls for example).

They are not difficult, I've used an old smashed beer can with Powder River Paste bait inside, tied to dangle from a juniper tree as an attractant. Brush fence to keep out livestock and a couple heavy duty snares. Worked great.

Its more difficult to get the required permits to do this work in my state. I'm guessing its even tougher in California.?

Re: Fox?... No Mountain Lion! - 03/03/15 03:15 AM

I just talked to out permitting lady this week, it actually is nice to work with her. If she is in the office, the landowner can get permits within a day or that day, two days if she is not in office. You need picture proof of damage and in case of lions they may send an agent out to the scene. We do have a county trapper who operates for next to nothing though, so there would have to be a good reason they would choose me.

Re: Fox?... No Mountain Lion! - 03/04/15 01:09 AM

At first, I was surprised at how many people chose me over Wildlife Services... People are willing to pay for good professional service. My guess is the county guy is just there to do his job, not excel like yourself.

Re: Fox?... No Mountain Lion! - 03/04/15 01:44 AM

You sound like you are in a good area, unfortunatley for me, i hear good things about him.

How do you go about charging for lions and providing service?

Re: Fox?... No Mountain Lion! - 03/04/15 03:28 PM

Oh, well the county must let him be pretty good (unheard of around here). But then why isn't he to busy? Maybe you can work with him, or he can refer work to you that he doesn't have time for?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums