Home

What would you do in this situation

Posted By: Andrew N.

What would you do in this situation - 01/27/15 05:17 PM

Last September I set 2 coon size cage traps in a woman's backyard. I got the job from a local feed store I had my cards at. Things were going smooth with the customer, even though I had not caught her skunk. She was a patient, pleasant woman. About mid November I told her the skunks she was seeing weren't living in her yard, but more likely the green belt behind her yard. I said I would come get the traps as I thought the skunk had moved on. No sightings, no odor, no sign. She said I could leave the traps for the rest of the winter as they weren't bothering her. I said ok which I believe was my first mistake. I did let her know I would need them back before the end of the year and she says that'll work.

Starting in December, I called her to let her know I'd be needing the traps back. After roughly a dozen calls and a couple stops by the house with no answer, I still can't ahold of her. I've left voicemails and my card with a short note explaining all I want is my traps back and there would be no charge to her. Still, no response.

Do I call the sheriffs office or fish and wildlife on her? Total for the traps is around $150. What would you all do?
Posted By: JBarnes6767

Re: What would you do in this situation - 01/27/15 05:34 PM

Calling law enforcement would definitely be the last resort, but it may be necessary. Have you checked the obituaries? http://www.legacy.com/ns/ A lot of my elderly customers who I have lost contact with have past on, and when I cant get ahold of them I usually find them there. Have you also checked with neighbors or peeked in the backyard to see if your cages are still there?

Good luck!

Re: What would you do in this situation - 01/27/15 05:39 PM

I appreciate suggestions JB. The past couple times I've called, they forwarded me straight to voicemail after a ring or two. If someone saw me peeking over fences, I'd probably get the law called on me for prowling about. Also, there's a chocolate lab living in the back yard that lets everyone know when someone comes on the property.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: What would you do in this situation - 01/27/15 07:25 PM

try calling with a different phone

Re: What would you do in this situation - 01/27/15 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Vinke
try calling with a different phone

Vinke, sonetimes the simplest answers fly right by me. That's a darn good idea. Hope things are good up your way
Posted By: Eric Arnold

Re: What would you do in this situation - 01/27/15 11:47 PM

As the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. If the property isn't that far of a drive, I'd make a special trip out there and knock on the door. If you feel she would recognize you and not answer, have one of your friends or family member go instead. If you can prove she is home but refusing to answer, it's time to get the authorities involved.

Just explain the situation to them and see if they will give her a call with the option to place the traps outside of the door so you can collect them so they don't have to get involved with it.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: What would you do in this situation - 01/28/15 12:07 AM

This is one post that should be saved. Between Barnes, Vinke, and WCT they covered all the answers perfectly.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: What would you do in this situation - 01/28/15 01:58 AM

Hope all is well with you Big A,,,,,,,,, I will try calling soon.......

Re: What would you do in this situation - 01/28/15 02:00 PM

Good idea wct. I appreciate the help. I'm going to call from another number today. I wonder if I'll get a response if I mention getting law enforcement involved. I have yet to meet the man of the house. Perhaps he's unaware of the current situation.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: What would you do in this situation - 01/28/15 07:34 PM

Were the traps where you left them, or are they gone? Perhaps the husband/son etc went into biz for himself with your gear, and she doesn't want to face you.

Re: What would you do in this situation - 01/28/15 08:51 PM

That is a possibility. If the traps are still hanging around, I hope they haven't cut my tag off.

Re: What would you do in this situation - 01/28/15 08:51 PM

Oh and no response with calling from another line.
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: What would you do in this situation - 01/31/15 04:52 AM

May be shutting the door after the horse is out of the barn, but make sure your contract mandates safe access to property.
Posted By: Ron Scheller

Re: What would you do in this situation - 01/31/15 06:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Livetrap
She said I could leave the traps for the rest of the winter as they weren't bothering her. I said ok which I believe was my first mistake.

Teachable moment. You already know what NOT to do.... ever again. We've all made similar mistakes, and it's part of learning the business.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums