Home

rabbit clearance yesterday

Posted By: coney catcher

rabbit clearance yesterday - 01/26/15 10:59 PM

A few pics on rabbit control yesterday with the dogs ferrets and nets, just wondered what you thought?

Brian
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: rabbit clearance yesterday - 01/27/15 12:28 AM

Well at least that explains why we have not had a single rabbit call this winter. They all hopped a boat for England.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: rabbit clearance yesterday - 01/27/15 12:38 AM

I was staying in a motel on San Jaun is Island this summer and counted 45 of the deck,,,,,had fun dropping beer cans on them until it got dark
Posted By: sgs

Re: rabbit clearance yesterday - 01/27/15 12:49 AM

Great job! I wish I had been there. The English countryside is beautiful even in winter.

Here are a couple of videos by one of your countrymen that might come in handy...

Posted By: MAAA

Re: rabbit clearance yesterday - 01/27/15 02:27 AM

How many rabbits do you catch/kill in a season and how long does rabbit season last where you are at ? Is there a daily limit on rabbits there ?

Re: rabbit clearance yesterday - 01/27/15 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: MAAA
How many rabbits do you catch/kill in a season and how long does rabbit season last where you are at ? Is there a daily limit on rabbits there ?

Some years we can take around 4000 rabbits, but if we have had the dreaded myxomatosis numbers are substantially less, there is no close season on rabbits as they are a pest species and no bag limits.
there was a old countrymans saying that you only take rabbits when there is a R in the month, because of breeding, but we have caught rabbits in december full of young

Re: rabbit clearance yesterday - 01/27/15 10:40 PM

I noticed in the back ground of the picture's what looks like rock fence's ? Are thoes fairly common there and what are their purpose or used for ?
Posted By: bad karma

Re: rabbit clearance yesterday - 01/27/15 11:06 PM

Can you sell them ? I understand there is a decent but limited market for wild game.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: rabbit clearance yesterday - 01/27/15 11:58 PM

Brian

Which one is you?

If you can't sell them, they'd make GREAT fox bait for your ADC work!

John

Re: rabbit clearance yesterday - 01/28/15 05:59 PM

John i'm the good looking one with the hat on!!
MAAA the rock fences are dry stone walls made with no mortar,the area these pictures were taken all the stone is limestone, around home the stone is slate and cobbles, there are thousands of miles of them in the lake district and i have put up a few yards of them myself.they are used to hold stock and mark boundaries.
bad karma, 90% of the rabbits in the picture went to a wildlife park this morning for feeding snow leopards, i can get more money from the game dealer but i look after the wildlife park because i have the pest control contract for them, wild game is now very big in this country.

hope this answers a few questions

Brian
Posted By: bobsheedy

Re: rabbit clearance yesterday - 01/28/15 09:30 PM

How hard is it to get the ferret back in the carrier after it's been running for awhile? How long does the netting last? The rabbits and dogs hit it pretty hard, don't they. The catch is pretty impressive. Thanks for sharing.

Bob

Re: rabbit clearance yesterday - 01/29/15 01:58 AM

Thanks, the reason i was asking about the rock fences is because i have seen similar fences here in the U.S. They are very old. I don't know of anyone who know's when or why they were built. Some say they were built by homesteader's as a way to dispose of stone's so that the feild's could be cleared. But these fences(walls) that i know of are in steep hill country or small mountain areas. I don't know of any of them that could actually hold any type of live stock because none of them are long enough to make a paddock. After seeing your fences in the picture it makes me wonder if maybe it might have been someone from your country that was here home steading that built them.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: rabbit clearance yesterday - 01/29/15 02:44 AM

I sure would like to have been there with a couple Goshawks!
Posted By: hum

Re: rabbit clearance yesterday - 01/30/15 12:34 PM

that would be great hunting for goshawk or harris hawk who cool
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: rabbit clearance yesterday - 01/31/15 04:21 AM

In the stone-ridden fields of New England (and other places), the stones removed while preparing a field for crops were numerous. They were used to make low fences/walls and were so well-made - often without mortar - that they have lasted for centuries.
Posted By: Keith on DelMarV

Re: rabbit clearance yesterday - 02/01/15 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: coney catcher
A few pics on rabbit control yesterday with the dogs ferrets and nets, just wondered what you thought?

Brian

Whippets or lurchers?
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: rabbit clearance yesterday - 02/01/15 07:01 PM

I'm voting a lurcher.
Seems big for a whippet.

Do you ear rabbit over there ? Or are those hares ?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums