Home

critters in wall

Posted By: Carcat

critters in wall - 01/24/15 04:32 AM

I hear critters in the walls of my house. These are primarily outside walls, not interior walls. They are in an area with high ceilings and little access to the space under the roof supports. I hear them up high in the walls and they aren't always in the same place. I don't see how they could get in the areas from the outside, so I assume they are entering through the crawlspace under the house. I don't really want to cut holes in the walls, but there are a few cabinets attached to the walls where I could make cuts that would then be easy to hide. Where do I start dealing with this issue?
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: critters in wall - 01/24/15 10:12 AM

I'd start by carefully looking around your house for entrances. Pay close attention to corners on the bottom and top. Dormer tie ins, eyebrows, ridge vents and gable vents are the common spots for entrances up top. Also seal up pass through a for wires. Especially around the ac line power line. Look for rubs where they are coming in and out. Do you have flying squirrels in your area?

Re: critters in wall - 01/24/15 05:02 PM

yes
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: critters in wall - 01/24/15 05:43 PM

What time of day or night do you hear them?

Is the noise a scratching? Running? or Both?

Is the sound going along the wall or up and down the wall?

Is it every day or off and on?

Re: critters in wall - 01/24/15 10:37 PM

I usually hear them in the early night, after dark, starting about a half an hour after dark. Hear both scratching and running. It is hard to tell about direction. often is sounds like the noise is moving through the crawl space above the ceiling and below the roof. Sometimes scratching in the wall, usually up high on the wall. I looked at the eaves and climbed on the roof today and saw no holes anywhere.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: critters in wall - 01/24/15 10:48 PM

most people don't in my experiences,,,,, I know nothing about S.C. but sounds like squirrels..........

Hiring a pro might be cheaper then cutting holes in the wall
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: critters in wall - 01/25/15 01:47 AM

Or you could hire a pro who cuts holes in the wall. That would really be expensive.

Re: critters in wall - 01/25/15 02:05 AM

I don't know. I'll put all sorts of holes in walls for free. It's fixing the holes that gets expensive. grin
Posted By: RF Wildlife

Re: critters in wall - 01/25/15 08:01 AM

Next time you hear it bang on the wall. Flyers will run, mice will freeze. Not a 100% test but works most of the time. I am guessing flyers. If they run try to track the direction, they typically run for an exit.

Re: critters in wall - 01/26/15 12:11 AM

Reds run too. They'll squeeze through a pretty small hole too... Or open it up large enough for them to fit.
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: critters in wall - 01/26/15 12:44 AM

x2 RF I don't think SC has the red squirrel. May be wrong. grey squirrel should be hearing in the morning.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: critters in wall - 01/26/15 02:09 AM

Quote:
I don't know. I'll put all sorts of holes in walls for free. It's fixing the holes that gets expensive. grin

lol,,,,, we do a lot of smoke tests in Arizona,,,, and I charge to stand there looking for it (Norway rats)

Re: critters in wall - 01/29/15 03:19 AM

No reds here. I trimmed some branches that were hanging over the roof and swept off the roof and the noises have stopped, it seems.
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: critters in wall - 01/29/15 01:51 PM

Maybe was the branches rubbing against the roof when the wind blew.

Re: critters in wall - 01/29/15 05:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Vinke
Quote:

lol,,,,, we do a lot of smoke tests in Arizona,,,, and I charge to stand there looking for it (Norway rats)

What is a smoke test for rats?
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: critters in wall - 01/29/15 06:27 PM

Vinke lights up a cigarette and if a rat doesn't try to sponge one, he figures there are none and moves on.
Posted By: ponyboy

Re: critters in wall - 01/30/15 02:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
Vinke lights up a cigarette and if a rat doesn't try to sponge one, he figures there are none and moves on.
smile
© 2024 Trapperman Forums