Home

Training checklist for employees?

Posted By: Throw Back

Training checklist for employees? - 01/08/15 04:10 AM

Do any you guys have a formal checklist of skills/knowledge that employees learn before work or working alone.

I think it could be a good idea to reduce liablity and above all to ensure that nothing is missed. So does anyone have a list they could share?
Posted By: Dirk Shearer

Re: Training checklist for employees? - 01/08/15 03:12 PM

Here in Ohio, a technician must be certified prior to working unsupervised. You can check out the training/test/certification at www.wildohio.org.

I don't feel that the training and test they take is actually enough to make me feel comfortable turning a tech loose to fully represent my company, but it is a legal requirement.

I have had a number of employees and each one has been different. Most I felt comfortable going on their own (for pickups and such) in a relatively short period of time. Others not so much.

What I guess I'm getting at is that each individual will be different. I don't think you can quantify when someone is ready with a check list.

To use an analogy, I have four children, each will be able to legally drive at 16. I am quite sure that I will have a different comfort level with each of them based on their personality, level of responsibility, and how they are influenced by their friends and peers. My oldest is most likely to tell someone to go pound sand if they try to get her to do something she shouldn't. My second oldest might think about it but will probably say no politely. My third would walk away looking like he was gonna call the cops on them. The youngest, I might have to make sure I have bail money ready!!!
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Training checklist for employees? - 01/08/15 03:20 PM

After that very thorough description, I think that four of the technicians that we hired are Dirk's kids.

Re: Training checklist for employees? - 01/08/15 04:50 PM

I agree that no checklist can tell you any absolute. Just like passing basic doesn't mean you will be a great soldier. It does however let you know that you have run them through and they have demonstrated competency in a variety iof skills and techniques.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Training checklist for employees? - 01/09/15 01:08 AM

Good info.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Training checklist for employees? - 01/09/15 01:08 AM

Good info.

Re: Training checklist for employees? - 01/10/15 03:06 AM

I think I will write one up and see what can be added
Posted By: warrior

Re: Training checklist for employees? - 01/10/15 04:23 AM

You can write a book on it. I kid you not my former employee handbook was six inches thick. It covered everything from uniforms and uniform care to how to set traps for squirrels to family use of company vehicles. It almost seemed like a weekly thing of a tech doing something that prompted a new page in the handbook.
If I recall the quote it went something like this "from the day you hire them you have to make the case to fire them".
Checklists are great things but don't lose sight of the goal. Also remember for even the best of new hires it takes a minimum of two full year long seasons before they feel they got a grasp of it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums