Home

What Do You Guys Do With Turkeys?

Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

What Do You Guys Do With Turkeys? - 01/02/15 08:42 PM

Been getting more calls about backyards being invaded by turkeys. Does anything work besides turning them into dinners? Maybe

something like lasers or noise? Any clues would be appreciated.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: What Do You Guys Do With Turkeys? - 01/02/15 09:18 PM

Turkey's see colors, so what would a laser do to them?
Can't imagine Turkey's being much of a problem, what is the complaint? They eat a swell of a lot of bug's, the scratching maybe?

Re: What Do You Guys Do With Turkeys? - 01/02/15 09:44 PM

I see colors too and a red laser on my chest scares the heck out of me!

I imagine they raise heck with the customers' bird feeders but I don't have any and I think two dozen turkeys in my backyard would

get pretty old, pretty quick.
Posted By: warrior

Re: What Do You Guys Do With Turkeys? - 01/02/15 11:00 PM

Monofilament fencing.

Re: What Do You Guys Do With Turkeys? - 01/03/15 01:37 AM

warrior, how many strands at what height?

Re: What Do You Guys Do With Turkeys? - 01/03/15 04:57 PM

Two to three strands starting at neck height +/- 3' then 2' and 1'. They have difficulty seeing mono and being oriented to walk instead of fly when active during the day fencing is somewhat effective.
Posted By: trapperpaw

Re: What Do You Guys Do With Turkeys? - 01/05/15 09:01 AM

If you treat turkeys like a human they will treat you like a turkey. They become very territorial and will attack humans, jump on cars, walk on cars. Killing one and eating him will change their attitudes but we have to get a hard to get letter from the commissioner of f&w.
At a state park here I was going to harass one to get him to quit running in the building, spurring people and cars as that is all the permission I could get then eliminate him from the gene pool when turkey season opened. Some turkey hunters set up a blind off the edge of the park and when he went over to run them off he never came back. The employees think I got him but I don't get up that early and we all know the early hunter gets the turkey.
Posted By: Andrew N.

Re: What Do You Guys Do With Turkeys? - 01/05/15 02:48 PM

My folks have a large flock that walks the sidewalks I the neighborhood. You can see a bunch of door dings on the cars parked on the street. The turkeys see their reflection in the shiny paint and peck at the cars. They're not looked highly upon in that neighborhood.
Posted By: patriot_trapper

Re: What Do You Guys Do With Turkeys? - 01/05/15 10:28 PM

Propane cannons work. Very loud but effective with turkeys.
Posted By: huntinjunkie

Re: What Do You Guys Do With Turkeys? - 01/06/15 12:49 AM

Get em to get take in their feeders.
Posted By: Kermit

Re: What Do You Guys Do With Turkeys? - 01/06/15 01:55 AM

Is tasering considered non lethal? Not sure how you taser a turkey. If you had the rite volts and it did a belly flop and roll it might give the flock an attitude adjustment.
Posted By: Kurt in Va

Re: What Do You Guys Do With Turkeys? - 01/06/15 03:27 AM

Here in VA they are the darlings of the fish and game along with bears, not sure you could get a permit to harass them, seems from reading your posts WI does not have such leanings.
Why not use the bird poppers that are shot out of a shotgun, they have great hearing so should work on them.

Kurt
Posted By: Travis Wolford

Re: What Do You Guys Do With Turkeys? - 01/06/15 04:28 AM

How is it not normal to have a dozen turkeys in your back yard? Who else will keep the muscoveys and the guineas company? Lol

Re: What Do You Guys Do With Turkeys? - 01/06/15 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Kurt in Va
Here in VA they are the darlings of the fish and game along with bears, not sure you could get a permit to harass them, seems from reading your posts WI does not have such leanings.
Why not use the bird poppers that are shot out of a shotgun, they have great hearing so should work on them.

Kurt

Same here in GA. Deer, bear and turkey are the poster children. Though I have it from the horses mouth that the local popo find bean bags out of their 12 gauge to be effective.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: What Do You Guys Do With Turkeys? - 01/07/15 05:47 PM

I had a call where a big tom was strutting in front of a glass door at a retirement center and would flog the old women as they tried to make their way to their cars parked in the lot. laugh

I showed up with a huge fish net and invited him to flog me... wink
Posted By: trapperpaw

Re: What Do You Guys Do With Turkeys? - 01/07/15 07:46 PM

Kermit I'm not sure it's legal to tase them them but I'm sure it would work. Unless they have been eating jimson weed. I know their has been some research and work with bears and a tased bear has never returned to where he was tazed. I'm not sure about the politics of why it was determined to be unacceptable. Tasing is something every animal in its right mind wants to avoid. Now a mind in an extremely altered state sometimes invites it.
Tasers probably aren't legal but a temporary electric fence might make them pick an alternate yard. Havahart makes a deer deterent that when an animal puts its nose to it a high volt low amp shock hits him in the nose.I would put corn on it and use the short leg to put the corn closer to the ground for turkeys. It works on grandchildren and a lot of other animals.
WCS the sponsor here sells it and if you buy it by clicking the top of this page Paul not me or Winkelmann get a deserved cut.
Paint balls would be effective and probably legal if consistent meaning the customer will have to participate.
You have to get a consulting fee or something. Geese turkeys and birds are many times problem management and can only be solved by managing that you can't do unless you are on site. Maintenance personell, the customer or someone will have to act consistently for your recommendation to work. Tell your customer that you are going to give them a program for so much $ . Check with your regulator and see what would be legal, write a recommendation and sell or tell them where to buy recommended equipment. Let them know this is a management program that may be need to be altered and to call you when necessary as part of your agreement. If on site visit or work is necessary so much more per hour.
That's my recommendation you owe me 2 cents or I'll turn it over to collections.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: What Do You Guys Do With Turkeys? - 01/07/15 07:57 PM

We have had people in town having problems with deer. The only thing that seem to be working is a water hose that attaches to a motion detector. It may work. They may work for turkey's.

Re: What Do You Guys Do With Turkeys? - 01/07/15 07:57 PM

I had a call very similar to LTs. Went to the retirement center and chased the bird around for a while and they haven't called back,

so I guess he got the picture. And in every complaint I've had so far, the problem birds were always Toms. ( I don't know what

happened to Dick and Harry. )
Posted By: k-9hunter

Re: What Do You Guys Do With Turkeys? - 01/09/15 01:39 AM

i coyote decoy should work the same way it works on geese
© 2024 Trapperman Forums