Home

coon driving me crazy

Posted By: Throw Back

coon driving me crazy - 12/28/14 05:24 PM

I am trying to trap a coon under a single wide trailer and having no luck. I put a trap under the crawlspace day one and just had the bait stolen. I set a positive set on the exit and it just seemed to coop him up. I set a single door under the house, and he managed to get half the cookie but didn't even go in for the persimmon's. I'm getting frustrated and getting ready to just put a dog proof onq short leash out.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: coon driving me crazy - 12/28/14 07:34 PM

Sounds like it was somebody else's problem before this, got educated and dumped down the road, to become YOUR problem.
Good luck
Posted By: Eric Arnold

Re: coon driving me crazy - 12/28/14 08:08 PM

If it's taking your bait, change your baiting strategy. Make sure you tie your bait to the bottom of the trap or to the back so it has to fight to get it and trip the trap.

When this happens to me, I run several marshmallows on 14 ga wire and attach the wire about 1/2 way up the back of the trap. The coon fires the trap as it moves to be more leverage to pull the wire off the trap.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: coon driving me crazy - 12/28/14 10:05 PM

First of all, unless you know for sure that the raccoon was stealing your bait, it could be a bunch of other creatures. We nearly

always stake down our raccoon cages. If a raccoon is the thief, we just put the bait under the trap, right ahead of and under the

pan. He's either going to get caught or go hungry.

Re: coon driving me crazy - 12/30/14 04:04 AM

I am having the same situation in another trailer, the woman doesn't want traps outside because she is afraid of getting dogs and cats, do you guys have luck putting traps IN the crawl space
Posted By: Hoosier_Trapper

Re: coon driving me crazy - 12/30/14 04:51 AM

Positive set with comstock should work

Re: coon driving me crazy - 12/30/14 05:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Hoosier_Trapper
Positive set with comstock should work

I have a positive set with an advanced trap at the only possible exit I can see. It just seems like its not coming out. Bait is going missisng and damage is there. He may just be waiting me out.

Re: coon driving me crazy - 12/30/14 05:13 AM

Have had a couple like that and that is when I will get the homeowners permission to use a connibear in a bucket placed under the trailer with fried chicken as bait (KFC SET) has never failed! NEVER!

Re: coon driving me crazy - 12/30/14 05:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Hoosier_Trapper
Have had a couple like that and that is when I will get the homeowners permission to use a connibear in a bucket placed under the trailer with fried chicken as bait (KFC SET) has never failed! NEVER!

I have been considering this. Although I am positive it is a raccoon under there, found poop, damage, and have blocked off entry/exit points, I have always just been told not to use conibears on the ground for liability reasons.

Re: coon driving me crazy - 12/30/14 05:45 AM

Well if it is legal and you do it right then there is nothing wrong with that approach.This is our last resort too. Just put the trap under the trailer and cover entrance with cardboard to help prevent a cat or non target from entering.Make sure owner understands it is a lethal trap and is your last resort to solve their problem.If the animal is that cautious then we believe it helps to wipe the trap jaws down with a piece of the chicken to cover the metal smell.We also wire the chicken piece to the center of the back of the bucket up off the bottom so a trap shy animal is not tempted to reach in to drag the bait out without committing its head first. Good luck! been there a few times and always wished I had used this set first.

Re: coon driving me crazy - 12/30/14 05:49 AM

Its legal to use up to a 160 on land. If tonights strategy doesnt go well I may try a DP, then may try a 160
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: coon driving me crazy - 12/31/14 01:23 PM

Change your baiting strategy. call Bob Noonan and he will tell ya what it is.

Re: coon driving me crazy - 01/01/15 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Jonesie
Change your baiting strategy. call Bob Noonan and he will tell ya what it is.

I will try and get his number. If there is one thing I appreciate is how many trappers o have never spoken a word too who are thrilled to take a few minutes to chat on the phone for nothing.
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: coon driving me crazy - 01/01/15 04:01 PM

call me I will tell you what may work.

Re: coon driving me crazy - 01/02/15 03:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Jonesie
call me I will tell you what may work.

Will you be in the office tomorrow?
Posted By: Getting There

Re: coon driving me crazy - 01/02/15 01:40 PM

Ron:
How about filling us all in!
Posted By: Phil Nichols

Re: coon driving me crazy - 01/03/15 05:00 AM

bet its the old california penus set.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: coon driving me crazy - 01/03/15 04:14 PM

Phil, you mean the old "Don We Now Our Gay Apparel" set.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums