Home

anyone else still trappin moles?

Posted By: TRapper

anyone else still trappin moles? - 12/11/14 10:03 PM

here it is December 11th in Iowa and I was out setting mole traps on some clients properties...in southern Missouri it was normal but here in iowa just a lil strange
Posted By: Getting There

Re: anyone else still trappin moles? - 12/11/14 10:10 PM

Not in my area of Michigan, but I have see some new boils the other day. No snow on the ground at the moment. The ground is freezing up pretty hard.
Posted By: willvalley

Re: anyone else still trappin moles? - 12/11/14 11:30 PM

Western Oregon has activity year round. Picked up three today and a rock. OOSs catch rocks at times. I should have used Traplines at this house but did not take any with me when setting. Second call to this place and second rock. It is good that it is only half mile or so away. The little guys are moving all over not just in the watered areas so calls are slower but they still come in.
We rarely get frozen ground here but last December we had some. The little guys were pushing up even then.
Posted By: trapperpaw

Re: anyone else still trappin moles? - 12/12/14 05:56 AM

Yes.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: anyone else still trappin moles? - 12/12/14 06:58 PM

Still running in Ohio
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: anyone else still trappin moles? - 12/13/14 02:17 AM

We could be trapping if we wanted. Actually we build our contract work bases for the spring this time of year. With the high moisture content in the soil the mole activity increases significantly in some areas and folks see it more then ever and call.

Conditions with the shallow frost make trapping conditions at times not the best here on average.Some areas may be workable and others may not depending upon the site conditions. The feed sources go deeper when the surface temps drop so this stimilus naturally drops the moles depth of feeding overall.

Most activity around our service area this time of year are deep angle push up mounds which are not the best catch percentage places to set. You can catch on the cleaned off excavation mound runs when they are still being used but I prefer newly formed and progressing feed runs linking established barrier travel runs for the best clean out catch locations. We usually stop mole work when temps hover in the lower 30's and upper 20's until the spring.

Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: anyone else still trappin moles? - 12/14/14 12:44 AM

When the ground allows it. It hasn't frozen yet, but all my traps are buried under snow. I can't see to reset after I check the traps. My flags really stand out over a yard of snow!
Posted By: TRapper

Re: anyone else still trappin moles? - 12/16/14 04:50 AM

3 moles from 2 clients lawns...traps set last friday
Posted By: JA23

Re: anyone else still trappin moles? - 12/24/14 02:18 PM

Caught four last week.
Posted By: roe

Re: anyone else still trappin moles? - 12/24/14 04:36 PM

A good way to protect your traps from frost is to make a molehill on top of it.Obviously when you go below -10 the whole lots going to freeze but over that the trap stays free enough...
Posted By: Ron Scheller

Re: anyone else still trappin moles? - 12/24/14 09:03 PM

I usually don't do much mole work in the winter months due to frozen ground and typically lack of activity. However, we've been seeing weather patterns shifting back-and-forth from cold to warm, and during the short warm-ups when the ground thaws, I may set a job or two for a couple days. All depends on the weather forecast. This pic is from yesterday while driving to a non-mole job.... but this is typical of winter mole damage here. Worms and beetles are deeper, so they have to excavate to feed. Soft, wet dirt allows them to move a bunch of soil. Damage is actually worse when there is a light frost, as they push up really large "chunks" of sod (kind of like breaking ice, but from the bottom up).

Posted By: roe

Re: anyone else still trappin moles? - 12/24/14 10:16 PM

I'm trapping 100-150 moles a week........but here in the UK its kinda warm ....still, money's money!!
Posted By: Coppertrapper26

Re: anyone else still trappin moles? - 12/30/14 09:47 PM

I can't think of anything else I would rather do. Especially changing a light bulb. I bet you are enjoying the iowa weather. We northern ers have a few tricks to capture those pesky moles. Give me a call sometime and catch up. JJ
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: anyone else still trappin moles? - 01/06/15 12:32 AM

Moles have gone deep due to the frozen ground. Their mounds are bringing in calls though. I can still set for voles and will hit the moles as soon as the ground thaws.
Posted By: Travis Wolford

Re: anyone else still trappin moles? - 01/06/15 04:37 AM

Haven't seen you on here in a long while coppertrapper26. Hope all is well.
Posted By: Sweet Pea

Re: anyone else still trappin moles? - 01/06/15 03:41 PM

Yes but the ground is starting to freeze here.
Posted By: Jason Turner

Re: anyone else still trappin moles? - 01/28/15 03:33 AM

Yes, I have a number of annual contracts but here in Arkansas our cold snaps are usually shortived ao weather doesn't slow em down like it does for some of you.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: anyone else still trappin moles? - 01/28/15 03:54 AM

Still no moles up in this part of Michigan, very little snow so far so they will not be working under the snow until we get more snow.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: anyone else still trappin moles? - 02/01/15 07:09 PM

Caught one yesterday in my own yard...the nerve of that little ^%$#@#$% ! laugh
Posted By: Vinke

Re: anyone else still trappin moles? - 02/03/15 02:37 AM

To funny,,,,,,,,poor little sob didn't stand a chance...........

Every time I go home I got the same issue....... except they are dead and rotten in the trap thanks to your help.!!!///////
© 2024 Trapperman Forums