Home

Great DNR Management

Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Great DNR Management - 12/03/14 02:54 AM

The island of Hawaii was being over-run with rats so in an effort to solve the problem, they imported the mongoose. Unfortunately

the mongoose is diurnal and the rats are nocturnal. The two never met so Hawaii still has a major rat problem and now also a

mongoose problem. The mongoose is doing it's best to make as many native animals and birds extinct including the Nene, which the

native goose. I really can't criticize because we just finished one of the worst deer seasons in many years. In the northern part

of the state the the kill was down 32%. I was lucky enough to interview the leader of one of the wolf packs in that area and he

told me that their deer hunting was up 64% and told me to thank our DNR for bringing them to Wisconsin.
Posted By: BUD25

Re: Great DNR Management - 12/03/14 03:24 AM

Ha! I would go to Hawaii and thin down the population but near impossible to sell that large of a job.
Posted By: Lundy

Re: Great DNR Management - 12/03/14 04:24 AM

Bud, if you get the job, I'll be your wingman! I even have an friend that lives there, he's a handyman type of guy and he's been there for over ten years. I know you will get lots of offers to help, I just wanted to be the first. Pick me! Pick me!
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Great DNR Management - 12/03/14 04:06 PM

Lundy, don't think I didn't look at the pest control business while I was there. No wildlife control ads at all ( Mainly pigs and

pigeons ) There were so few insects of any kind that I was amazed. The problem insects are the usual; roaches, bedbugs, ants,

spiders, and termites. The pigeon population is booming and 99% of them were white or had at least half of their feathers white;

which I thought was rather unusual.

P.S. This mornings paper said that this was the worst deer season in 32 years, but were very quick to blame it on the weather. ( I

guess this is the first time that we had weather since 1982 ) In other news: The Wisconsin DNR is trying to import a large pride of

saber-toothed tigers to deal with the out-of-control wolf population. Stayed tuned for further news.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Great DNR Management - 12/03/14 05:18 PM

Thirstyunderwater is a member here and did some ADC work there on feral pigs, he would be a good guy to talk to for info.
Posted By: NV man

Re: Great DNR Management - 12/07/14 05:51 PM

Great humor over a morbidly true situation. Maybe DNR could start a castration program, then the wolves would quit screwing the deer... just saying.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums