Home

Winter pond crawfish control

Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Winter pond crawfish control - 11/24/14 10:35 AM

Pond owned called me yesterday to reinspect a pond I did a muskrat job on a month or so ago and apparently over the last couple days with the warm-up the crawfish have went nuts burrowing all over the place along the pond. The good thing for the pond, its basically a 30yd diameter hole in the ground so there isnt a dam to collapse but he doesnt want den holes collapsing all over the place.

Any suggestions on this? I've never messed with these things much, other than the usual catch crawfish in the streams as a kid and the occasional ones in minnow traps, before.
Posted By: Fire Fly Guy

Re: Winter pond crawfish control - 11/24/14 12:41 PM

Stock some bass in the pond come spring
Posted By: Coondog6

Re: Winter pond crawfish control - 11/24/14 04:15 PM

Love the bass idea.

Chuck
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Winter pond crawfish control - 11/24/14 04:38 PM

I did suggest that to him and he will do that this spring though I believe he is looking for something more immediate.
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: Winter pond crawfish control - 11/24/14 08:18 PM

Crawdads make a hole that's, what, the size of your thumb? and he's worrying about bank collapse?
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Winter pond crawfish control - 11/24/14 10:20 PM

The holes only go down to the water table, not horizontally. With no dam, there's really nothing to be damaged. Everything will be frozen in a little while anyway.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Winter pond crawfish control - 11/24/14 10:56 PM

Do you happen to have some good pictures of the damage? Posting some would make our suggestions more meaningful.

There are many species of crawfish in the U.S. (Google it). A few of these are dry land burrowing crawfish (Google this too). These make burrows above the pond level at certain times of the year. Some dig vertically, some dig more horizontally. Holes can be two inches or more in diameter.
If the tunnel is vertical, you should be able to see the water level below. Teach a few local kids to “fish” for crawfish in tunnels. A good bait is liver wrapped in a fine mesh. Maybe, offer to pay them a quarter for each crawdad caught. As a youngster (1950s), I spent quite a bit of time “fishing” for burrowing crawfish in Kansas. I would set four or five “lines”, wait several minutes, then check them. If there was resistance when I tugged on the line, I knew that a crawfish was eating on the bait and would gently pull it out.

If you cannot see the water level while using a strong flashlight, the quick, temporary solution may be to dig them out.

How to catch a burrowing crayfish- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=665N7MKI5mM
Posted By: Hitekrednek

Re: Winter pond crawfish control - 11/30/14 12:48 AM

Crawfish trap with bacon. Return in a day and eat them.... Repeat until desired effect.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums