Home

raccoon job questions

Posted By: cjoutdoors

raccoon job questions - 11/18/14 08:03 PM

Ive been doing ADC for about 8 years now. Ive seen alot, but i know i havent seen it all. Ive also come to find that not one person will solve an ADC problem exactly the same as someone else. One of my current jobs has me wondering what you would do, and how many trips you think youd make on average to complete the job.

The job is an oolder house in a semi-urban area. A-frame house, aluminum siding and soffitt over original cedar shingle. coons are climbing up all 4 corners, and have busted in the corner soffit pieces and bent them in. soffitt panels running along the side of the house are 40% missing and or bent. I do not like setting ttraps inside the house, and in this instance it is not possible.

I dont have any pics at the moment. but going by the description, what would you do? how would you trap, annd how would you know when finished? would you do any sort of repairs or soffitt replacement or would yoou reccommend a contractor?

Also, we are only allowed cages and snares here in NJ, and due to the area, snares are not an option
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: raccoon job questions - 11/19/14 12:16 AM

Are the soffits open to each other? If you sealed 1 corner on each side, could the raccoons get to the open corner?
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: raccoon job questions - 11/19/14 04:01 PM

If they are coming out at night to eat, you could probably catch them all on the ground in one night with enough cages.
Posted By: Ron Scheller

Re: raccoon job questions - 11/19/14 07:34 PM

Combining Paul's idea of trapping on the ground with soffit repairs should work. FIRST, repair/replace all long runs of soffit. Either yourself, or have them hire a contractor to do it. Leave only the corners open, which will limit their access only to the corner entries. Set heavily at all corners (climbing points) for a couple nights, using cardboard or tape for hole monitoring after a few catches. Of course weather conditions (especially temps) will factor in, so instant success may be a pipe dream.
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: raccoon job questions - 11/20/14 02:54 PM

yep close all areas except for one. keep the one open entry point open that they are using the most. set traps on the ground on the corners or how they are getting on the structure,and or 2 traps on the roof by the opening. Ground traps for me is better, as I can set up faster and more traps. tape the entry hole every time you are there so you can see how often the coon are really there. Know the 4 w's of the job and you will get it done faster.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: raccoon job questions - 11/22/14 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Jonesie
Ground traps for me is better, as I can set up faster and more traps. tape the entry hole every time you are there so you can see how often the coon are really there.

I've had success doing this a few times.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums