Home

opening night of coon season

Posted By: Travis Wolford

opening night of coon season - 11/08/14 09:00 PM

I hope I never get too old to enjoy this annual tradition! It's my youngest, Avery's first year. All 5 of us in the woods. This is the night I live for. Hope we get a few but time in the woods with the family is what it's all about!
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: opening night of coon season - 11/08/14 09:58 PM

He dredges up those old memories again. I hunted with a guy who always had two or three decent coonhounds. I hunted with him enough

that one night when he was too sick to go out, he actually trusted me with the dogs. It was one of those absolutely perfect nights

( Probably like you're wishing for ) and we killed coons in every woods we hunted. I could not believe that me and three dogs could

have that much fun. He finally couldn't take it anymore because he could hear all the baying and shooting from his house. He

drove up to the woods we were in and I had a couple coons on the ground and my rifle was outta bullets. I whipped out my Ruger

convertible six and my old sick hunting buddy says, "You can't kill nottin wit dat". I said, "Oh yeah, take a look at the length of

that barrel." And with that I sent a .22 Mag skyward and down came the last raccoon. Lest any of you protectionists that might be

reading this, are concerned about the health of the raccoon population in those woods, don't be! The only thing that could halt the

almost overwhelming production of raccoons in these woods, is disease from overpopulation.
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: opening night of coon season - 11/09/14 12:23 PM

I would love to find a little red English Gentlemens dog, I would start to hunt again. Those nites with walkers and redbones straight lining for 2 miles just is not in my game plans anymore LOL

Re: opening night of coon season - 11/09/14 09:59 PM

We don't have dogs any more. Well coon dogs any way lol. Whole place is full of dogs but they are just my beagles and pets. We just walk around and shine anymore. We managed to get 5 before my crew passed out. Oldest one is 7 so 1030 is pretty late for them.

Re: opening night of coon season - 11/09/14 10:16 PM

Travis ( And all the rest of you, for that matter ) did you see the beagles that the the Dutch at KLM airlines have trained to find

passengers that have left cell phones, laptops, etc. on planes, in the terminal, wherever. I think I still have it, so if anybody

wants it, I need your E-mail.

Re: opening night of coon season - 11/09/14 10:55 PM

Paul, a beagles nose is second to none. Lots of bomb, termite and bedbug sniffing beagles out there. Daily surroundings don't seem to have much an effect either. My dogs are rabbit hunting machines and they live right next to my wife's 30 or so breeder does. Not to mention the bucks and all the feeders and fryers.

Re: opening night of coon season - 11/10/14 12:14 AM

Travis, You crack me up! Who, besides the local 4H, would know about breeders, bucks, feeders, and fryers? Thanks to people like you,

I will die a happy man! ( Don't get excited, I have a lot more idiots to upset, before that happens )
Posted By: TRapper

Re: opening night of coon season - 11/10/14 01:32 AM

No matter how cheap they get trappin coon is still a l o t of fun

Re: opening night of coon season - 11/10/14 02:07 AM

I'm with ya Josh, I'm like a little kid this time of year. I bust my back side all year so I can play around in the month of November. My wife always says my Christmas morning is at dark November 8th. I even thumped a coyote at over 100yds with my trusty 10/22 last night (of course I missed one at 80 but we won't mention that). My son is 4 and he had a ball, he's a bit of a story teller so I had some explaining to do after he got out of Sunday school today. It's gonna be a good week, rabbits come in tomorrow and deer on Saturday. I still have lots of work going but I'm gonna have some fun for couple weeks!
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: opening night of coon season - 11/12/14 01:36 AM

Yeah, Beagles rule, no doubt. Until we got our Bluetick, Tonto, I used to say there were only two real breeds of dogs: Beagles...and all the rest.
Boy, hearing them hounds open up is music to my soul.
Posted By: 1st RiverRat

Re: opening night of coon season - 11/12/14 03:15 AM

if you want the sound hunt a hound if you want the fur hunt a cur

I raise California rabbits keep 4-6 does around and allways have 2-3 bucks . Should have a litter popping out in a day or two.

Cheaper and better tasting than chicken

Re: opening night of coon season - 11/12/14 03:21 PM

I have a California/Checkered Giant cross for our bucks and a New Zealand/Flemish Giant cross for does. Average litter is 11 and they will weigh 5.5 to 6lbs in 12 weeks. Best strain I have ever gotten Adam.
Posted By: 1st RiverRat

Re: opening night of coon season - 11/12/14 07:58 PM

Nice ! do you have alot of bone ??

I also cross with alot of NZ W does to throw weight on I like the long loins that they can give as well.

Re: opening night of coon season - 11/13/14 12:03 AM

This is nuts! After only 60 freaken years, I'm reading about New Zealands and Checkered Giants. There is not a single member of my

family that would have the faintest idea what we are talking about, and I love it!

Re: opening night of coon season - 11/13/14 03:40 AM

Glad I can bring back good memories for you Paul. Not too much bone with this concoction, it took some back breeding to get it right. The Flemish and checkered give the frame and the cal/nw give you the weight. To give you an idea on size a lot of her old does weigh 12 to 14lbs.

Re: opening night of coon season - 11/13/14 05:53 AM

Talk about getting on a "rabbit" trail, lol

Re: opening night of coon season - 11/13/14 05:55 AM

That was a fun day
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: opening night of coon season - 11/13/14 03:08 PM

trapper did you tree those rats and mink with a redbone or walker LOL

Re: opening night of coon season - 11/14/14 12:33 AM

Treed with a whole bunch of colonies

Re: opening night of coon season - 11/14/14 12:39 AM

That's a good day Josh. Can't wait for my boy to get a little bigger so we can go together.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums