Home

Young grubbing skunk

Posted By: Shawn T

Young grubbing skunk - 08/20/14 11:20 PM

I have been trying for 2 weeks to get this guy. I got his brother. He follows no patterns. It seems to be tube and cage shy. Other than ordering a specific grub bait I do not know what to do. The yard is roughly 3 acres and surrounded by woods and corn fields. I have never had this much trouble with a skunk. Has anybody tried a predator bait or something out of the normal to get skunks? It is not working with sweet baits.
Posted By: HD_Wildlife

Re: Young grubbing skunk - 08/21/14 05:28 AM

Shawn,

Is it possibly more location than bait? I know folks talk about them not being interested in many baits during the grub season so of course
that could be the issue, but we all know the best set equipment doesn't work unless it is on the right location.

Just a thought, assume you are already on point,
Posted By: Coondog6

Re: Young grubbing skunk - 08/21/14 08:49 AM

I am not a skunk pro but, I always look for the den and set that.
Posted By: Big Bear Wildlif

Re: Young grubbing skunk - 08/21/14 09:52 AM

Sounds like you know where he's going, agree its all location. But that said I finished up a skunk job that had 7 young ones. They mostly took to the bigger poly traps than the open cage. Cheese flavor as well as some honey seemed to draw them in. But I did have bees underground they were digging for. And this after never having any luck with a tube.
Posted By: sgs

Re: Young grubbing skunk - 08/21/14 10:02 AM

Find the trails where it's entering the yard and set there. Once they're actively grubbing it can be hard to distract them. Catch it before it gets to the yard.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Young grubbing skunk - 08/21/14 12:12 PM

Can you use a foothold? If so try making a big gaudy
Dirt hole set with a 1 1/2 just don't cover the trap so
Well that you catch a coyote or fox. I have had this work multiple
Times after no luck with tube or cages in wide open areas of grubbing
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Young grubbing skunk - 08/23/14 09:21 PM

Shawn T go to my skunk article in the Trappers Post July / August 2014 ADC sec. something in there may help ya, or maybe not.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums