Home

Groundhog trapping

Posted By: Lilly Pad

Groundhog trapping - 08/19/14 05:09 AM

Would #0 long-spring work for trapping groundhog? and if not what would you suggest?
Posted By: opie28

Re: Groundhog trapping - 08/19/14 11:45 AM

No an #0 will not work. Use a coon size live trap or if legal in your area a 220 conibear.
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: Groundhog trapping - 08/19/14 02:17 PM

I used my old bobcat traps twice this summer, 1-3/4 North woods, with 5-1/2" jaw spread I believe. Worked super! In any foothold I like rounded jaws with offsets, which are very gentle on a foot. You do not want to inflict any kind of injury, which can result in a loss. If there is no damage to a foot, no lacerations, no broken bones, animals will rarely escape. I also try to make sure the area is free of entanglements, a "free spooling" trap that won't get hung up and offer resistance. The trap should be bottom swiveled.

Re: Groundhog trapping - 08/19/14 03:47 PM

Thanks! Would #110 conibear work?
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: Groundhog trapping - 08/19/14 06:11 PM

I have personally only used 160's, which worked great.
Posted By: Eric Arnold

Re: Groundhog trapping - 08/19/14 06:27 PM

110's are not effective groundhog traps. You can use 120's as you've got an additional spring; however, the problem is that the jaws may not clear the head so you end up with a live animal caught under the chin and on or right behind the ears. The better trap to use is the 155. Unless it is a small groundhog, this will give you a neck catch with the bottom jaw being on the throat and the top jaw at the base of the skull. I set mine with the trigger facing out and slid all the way to the left. I then leave one wire closest to the spring pointed down but bend the other wire out anywhere from a 45 to 90 degree angle. This gives a nice opening with very little obstruction for the groundhog to use. Make sure you stake the trap securely so it won't move should it get hit. If the trap looks too tight in the tunnel, use a trowel to open the tunnel a bit so the springs can fit easily and be pressed into the side walls. If you remove too much dirt or the tunnel is open to begin with, you can put wood or stones on the side to act as fencing.

Re: Groundhog trapping - 08/19/14 11:08 PM

Oh okay thanks a lot
© 2024 Trapperman Forums