Home

Your go to groundhog bait/lure

Posted By: 1st RiverRat

Your go to groundhog bait/lure - 08/19/14 04:03 AM

Yes we all know positive sets rule but there are times when they are not possible to make. Whats your # 1 bait and lure ?
Posted By: Albert Burns

Re: Your go to groundhog bait/lure - 08/19/14 11:30 AM

We use quite a bit of Jameson's woodchuck baits and trailing scents in those situations. They will all work. I have good success this time of year using some type of melon, or even just watermelon Rhine for bait. I also use a lot of Broccoli, with a clean,large size coon cage, by taking it and suspending it in the rear of the cage using tie wire, up above the treadle where the woodchucks can see it. Then smear some lure on it and use LTS trailing scent into the cage. Even though you cannot make a positive set, you still need to be on the correct locations. It seems like at the end of summer, and for the next month or so,all the stupid woodchucks have already been captured, and you get to deal with the educated ones.
Posted By: opie28

Re: Your go to groundhog bait/lure - 08/19/14 11:43 AM

Granny Smith apple hung in the back of the cage. I grind about 1/2 into the wire and let it fall to the bottom for smell
and hang the rest. Sometimes will use On Target Hog Juice in the hanging apple for some extra smell. Like Albert said
make sure that your trap is clean. If it smells like coon forget it. If you can use a trap that has already caught a groundhog
in it all the better.
Posted By: iayogi17

Re: Your go to groundhog bait/lure - 08/22/14 12:48 PM

fresh bait apple, cabbage, or melon. dry bait I like a fancy rabbit food (sold at Walmart) strong smell of alfalfa and timothy grass
Posted By: 1st RiverRat

Re: Your go to groundhog bait/lure - 08/23/14 03:28 AM

I forgot about that rabbit bait. You showed it to me a few years ago. Thanks for reminding me.
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: Your go to groundhog bait/lure - 08/23/14 12:13 PM

Ditto with what has been said. I used apples for years with good results, mackintosh, didn't seem to do as well with delicious, melon too. I ran a wire or stick through a slice or two of apple and kept it off the ground so the ants would not find it as fast which added a good visual. I also smeared a slice on the cage entrance, mashed it into the wires. Liked to set late in the day so the bait was fresh for at least that evening and the next morning in hot weather. They do like broccoli because I had a mishap with a small one at the house. He was missing in action from a cobbled up cage not far from the garden. My eyes went right to the broccoli first where I found him standing and destroying plant #2. Chased him down a very small hole, then set a tunnel trap for squirrels. He ate no more broccoli.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums