Home

MOST FOOT FRIENDLY COYOTE TRAP

Posted By: RaymondF

MOST FOOT FRIENDLY COYOTE TRAP - 08/05/14 12:37 AM

What would you men say is the most foot friendly coyote trap on the market.I would like to buy some that would not leave a mark on their foot.Does one exist?
Posted By: warrior

Re: MOST FOOT FRIENDLY COYOTE TRAP - 08/05/14 01:14 AM

No, but this link http://fishwildlife.org/?section=best_management_practices will get you to the BMP that will give you the list of options in a foot friendly trap.
Posted By: Aaron Curtis

Re: MOST FOOT FRIENDLY COYOTE TRAP - 08/05/14 01:19 AM

Lots of good traps out there nowadays......having the appropriate number of swivels is also very important. Once the swivels fail things go downhill rapidly.
Posted By: MuskratJoe

Re: MOST FOOT FRIENDLY COYOTE TRAP - 08/05/14 01:19 AM

Collarum won't leave a mark on their feet. laugh. It is very "foot friendly".

Re: MOST FOOT FRIENDLY COYOTE TRAP - 08/05/14 02:28 AM

Cannot use snares in Georgia.
Posted By: warrior

Re: MOST FOOT FRIENDLY COYOTE TRAP - 08/05/14 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: RaymondF
Cannot use snares in Georgia.

You can thank our trappers association for that.
Posted By: huntinjunkie

Re: MOST FOOT FRIENDLY COYOTE TRAP - 08/06/14 12:31 PM

You didn't like your MB-550's?

Re: MOST FOOT FRIENDLY COYOTE TRAP - 08/06/14 01:09 PM

They are good traps but not what I want.I want no foot damage.Thinking about rubber jaws.What do you men recomend?
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: MOST FOOT FRIENDLY COYOTE TRAP - 08/06/14 01:32 PM

Rubber padded traps are definitely the only choice with short check times on the line. They will do the best job. I ran victor 3's soft catch for 25 years as that is how I made my living for all those years using them. The new mb soft catch are a good trap for live market work or use where domestic animals can be a problem. Some use laminated traps but rubber padded traps do the best job, once again short holding time is key for the best results with any traps used.

Re: MOST FOOT FRIENDLY COYOTE TRAP - 08/06/14 08:50 PM

What would you run today Bob if you were me?

Re: MOST FOOT FRIENDLY COYOTE TRAP - 08/06/14 10:27 PM

If you can afford the Mb 550 soft catch they are a good trap. There is about a $30 difference between them and the victors. You will have some tinkering to do with the victors to get them adjusted. I would go with the MB's if they are in your price range.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: MOST FOOT FRIENDLY COYOTE TRAP - 08/06/14 10:50 PM

Bob,,,,, I am surprised you would recommend a rubber trap over a cast/modified jaw offset....
Posted By: coonwacka

Re: MOST FOOT FRIENDLY COYOTE TRAP - 08/07/14 12:41 AM

I have Northwoods 1 3/4 double spring soft catch that were used for many years on yotes in Texas. All on drags. Very foot friendly. Northwoods doesn't make them anymore but Oneida Victor are basically the same.

Re: MOST FOOT FRIENDLY COYOTE TRAP - 08/07/14 01:09 AM

Would you go four coil or two coil?

Re: MOST FOOT FRIENDLY COYOTE TRAP - 08/07/14 12:28 PM

Never had the need to four coil any trap in my days.I have put some conners taos springs on some weaker traps over the years but newer stock traps are plenty strong with two coils. The more spring pressure you have the more problems you can have with what you are planning on doing.

Re: MOST FOOT FRIENDLY COYOTE TRAP - 08/07/14 02:02 PM

Talk to a friend who used duke rubber jaw traps years ago.He said he had problems with pullouts when the rubber jaws got wet.Did you have any problems with pullouts Bob?

Re: MOST FOOT FRIENDLY COYOTE TRAP - 08/07/14 03:34 PM

You can have pull outs on any type of trap when you approach and dont have a good catch to begin with.It just happens at times to all of us. I have caught a few thousand fox, coyote and cats with soft catch traps over the last 26 years or so.If you get a good pad or toe catch the soft catch can hold better than steel jaw faced traps. You will have some maintenance on the pads at times but that just comes with using that type of trap.

Re: MOST FOOT FRIENDLY COYOTE TRAP - 08/07/14 03:45 PM

Thanks So Much for the information.
Posted By: NV man

Re: MOST FOOT FRIENDLY COYOTE TRAP - 08/10/14 03:24 AM

Cast or laminated offset jaws, center swivel, long springs or just double coils, and depending on how you secure your trap you may want a spring in the chain. In my experience rubber jaws cut into the foot by slightly flexing back and forth. Check traps often.
Posted By: burke243

Re: MOST FOOT FRIENDLY COYOTE TRAP - 08/11/14 01:44 AM

22/250
© 2024 Trapperman Forums