Home

help getting started!

Posted By: trapping idaho

help getting started! - 07/24/14 01:13 AM

Well I want to get into the business of Animal control (we have none here) how do I get started? And what do I need to do? Test? Training? Any information is wanted. Please let me know as soon as possible thanks! I'm in the southeast region of Idaho.
Posted By: wormbobskey

Re: help getting started! - 07/24/14 01:29 AM

Start with your states DNR.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: help getting started! - 07/24/14 03:21 AM

Make sure that you have enough work to make a living. I read some place you need a service area of 250,000 people. JMO
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: help getting started! - 07/24/14 09:32 PM

Everet does have the right idea. Unless you have a very wealthy community, a quarter of a million people is probably the least amount

necessary to have a decent customer base.

Winkelmann
U.S. Army 61-63 Pvt E-2, 63 PFC, I wouldn't have taken it but they made me. Not a distinguishing career belonging to the dumbest

fighting forces in the world. ( But they're really good at body count ) Clue: join the Navy, Air Force, or Marines!

Re: help getting started! - 07/25/14 10:24 PM

The first two tools I would buy is a Land Navigator, don't pay over $120.00 for one. The second would be a log book.
Log your travel time, stopped time, millage, expenses etc. Time is money. You will be surprised on how much time you can spend at one site. This will help you estimate jobs when first starting out.

Re: help getting started! - 07/25/14 10:35 PM

I've been taking notes! Thanks guys. What legal stuff do I need to do through? And we only have about 3000 people where I live it's a small community. We have no animal collectors (ANH) is the only one and it don't even get any new animals in.
Posted By: HD_Wildlife

Re: help getting started! - 07/26/14 02:29 PM

How about pocket gophers? Are you in good ag land part of ID?
Posted By: DaveK

Re: help getting started! - 07/26/14 03:35 PM

Its a numbers game. 3000 people.....maybe 2 jobs per year? Who knows...but you need to think of it that way.

Re: help getting started! - 07/26/14 08:23 PM

You can tell Everet is older and wiser. I had a customer that went to the same private school I did. Although we were separated by

three years, the number of people we had in common was worth nearly an hour of BSing. I enjoyed every minute but it doesn't make for

a very short day. I like Everet's log book idea.

Re: help getting started! - 07/26/14 10:48 PM

Yes I'm in heavily ag community. We have a lot of gophers as well as skunk,coon, and rock chucks, fox, and all the time I'll see coyote, as well as bats. Ya it's something to think about. Let me guys know guys think I should do. Thanks again guy's! Very helpful!
Posted By: coonwacka

Re: help getting started! - 07/26/14 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: wormbobskey
Start with your states DNR.

1st.

Re: help getting started! - 07/27/14 04:38 AM

What are all the steps to get started? Where do I need to go?

Re: help getting started! - 07/27/14 12:53 PM

Your DNR can answer that question, they are the ones that govern the permitting of WDC personal. In Michigan anyway.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: help getting started! - 07/27/14 01:00 PM

As stated a couple other times start with the dnr
Then register for an LLC, set up business account
At the bank get liability insurance. Put your business
On your vehicle. Start a few local adds and spread out from
There. I would start with land animals first then maybe get some
Training for bats and advertise for them. But equipment
As you grow your business. How many ppl are within an
Hour radius of you?

Re: help getting started! - 07/27/14 06:36 PM

Ok sounds good, ill have to try that thanks, in my area we have about 50,000 in this region with in 1 1/2. Does that sound reasonable?

Re: help getting started! - 07/27/14 10:50 PM

It does if those 50,000 people have an above average income and are not farmers, ranchers, outdoorsmen, or any of the rest of the

do-it-yourselfers.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums