Home

What to do? I under bid

Posted By: Coondog6

What to do? I under bid - 07/16/14 01:30 PM

Hello All,

This is my second year doing ADC full-time and I want to develop/maintain a good reputation.

I took a ground hog job. I told them it would be $75 per ground hog. Normally, I charge a set up fee. Well, for whatever reason I didn't quote one on this job. My thoughts were make a positive set and the job is done.

Client doesn't want the ground hogs hurt. So, footholds, and conis are out.

Well, the ground hogs have burrowed into a rock retaining wall. I can't use cage traps for a positive set because the traps are not stable on the rocks.

I spent almost two hours on site looking for dens, and attempting various sets. I made four cage sets. I am not confident that they will connect. Two were baited sets and two were trail sets.

My thought is to cut my losses and return the clients deposit./ Or to I just bite the bullet and put in countless hours until the job is finished?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Posted By: sempergumby

Re: What to do? I under bid - 07/16/14 05:25 PM

Cantaloupe wired in the trap to the top. Before you place the trap, squeeze some of the uncut cantaloupe on the ground in a line (trailing scent from the retaining wall) and set the trap on top of it.
Posted By: Eric Arnold

Re: What to do? I under bid - 07/16/14 07:22 PM

Welcome to Wildlife Control University.

Regardless of how you decide to complete the job, make sure you complete it. We've all had jobs that were bid lower than they should be with unforeseen issues. Use this as a learning job and apply the lessons to future jobs.
Posted By: Coondog6

Re: What to do? I under bid - 07/16/14 07:42 PM

Thanks
Posted By: ADCofWMt

Re: What to do? I under bid - 07/16/14 08:40 PM

Finishing a job like this can lead to more job in the future. When you demonstrate you will do what it takes to do the job right people will remember it. Especially when it is something like this and they know you finished it even at a loss.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: What to do? I under bid - 07/16/14 09:29 PM

Problem is on a recall, IMO, all they will remember is that you work cheap.
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: What to do? I under bid - 07/16/14 11:34 PM

Try a smoke bomb IF LEGAL.
Posted By: coonwacka

Re: What to do? I under bid - 07/16/14 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By: WCT

Regardless of how you decide to complete the job, make sure you complete it. We've all had jobs that were bid lower than they should be with unforeseen issues. Use this as a learning job and apply the lessons to future jobs.

I agree w/Eric. I underbid all the time, experience is priceless (apparently I haven't learned yet)!

Can't use snares? Softcatch footholds?

Got a groundhog job going now. Positive sets against a shed. 6 coon so far, no animal charges due to non target catches. Apparently hog is not under there anymore (not sure why he darted under there with all those raccoon). Going to quote an exclusion around shed and deck.
Posted By: DaveK

Re: What to do? I under bid - 07/17/14 12:24 AM

Win some...loose some. All part of the game.
Posted By: iayogi17

Re: What to do? I under bid - 07/17/14 02:00 AM

no education is free
Posted By: HD_Wildlife

Re: What to do? I under bid - 07/17/14 06:09 PM

Have only been doing this 3 years heading into 4 now, and there are still times I know I'm losing money due to an unforeseen aspect or oversight in terms of my outlay in time or equipment. Definitely use those moments painful as they may seem to the wallet to assure yourself you will remember to look at things closer next time. There will always be pitfalls even for the most experienced, but for those of us starting out, you must expect them and move through them while making sure those folks who hired you will in the end know you took care of it.

I've told more than a few clients with new situations, "I'm not going to charge you to learn" and that is true, I bid like I'm seeing everything, if I miss something that is on me.

Good posts and responses,

Justin
Posted By: huntinjunkie

Re: What to do? I under bid - 08/05/14 02:59 AM

Sound advice!
Posted By: Travis Wolford

Re: What to do? I under bid - 08/05/14 04:08 AM

Yes sir you have to finish it no matter what. That's part of the deal, kind of the unspoken rules of WC. Like everyone else said educations aren't free, but they are educations all the same....use it as a learning experiance. Good luck
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: What to do? I under bid - 08/05/14 08:30 PM

Always look at the bright side! What goes around, comes around. After under-biding who-knows-how-many-jobs, we got a bid for a

concrete drive that was outstanding! I'm not saying that they lost a bunch of money, but I know they didn't all go to Hawaii on us!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums