Home

HELP! What's Doin' The Chewin'?

Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

HELP! What's Doin' The Chewin'? - 07/15/14 07:43 PM

A potential customer has a tree problem. Seventeen second growth evergreen trees have had the southwest side completely chewed off

from bottom to about three feet high. It's close to town and not near water. A couple are chewed at the 10 and 12 foot levels. The

customer thinks it's woodchucks but that's just a guess. The damage is on-going and probably done in the afternoon. We've been

hired to catch grey squirrels that were de-barking trees before but never anything this drastic. What's your opinion?
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: HELP! What's Doin' The Chewin'? - 07/15/14 08:09 PM

Trail Camera. Had a problem with something chewing on the wood siding of a house next to the ground. Thought it was squirrels. Got several pictures of chipmunks doing the chewing.
Posted By: Coondog6

Re: HELP! What's Doin' The Chewin'? - 07/15/14 08:15 PM

Porcupines

Re: HELP! What's Doin' The Chewin'? - 07/15/14 09:40 PM

Update: Just talked to the guy. Second growth maple about six inches around. Sorry Coondog6, no porkies in our area. I'm still thinking squirrels because the damage is daytime. Could he be right about this being woodchucks? Jim, he's installing a trailcam tomorrow.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: HELP! What's Doin' The Chewin'? - 07/15/14 11:01 PM

My guess would be porkies too.

I guess they do climb, but I've never seen it.
Posted By: wormbobskey

Re: HELP! What's Doin' The Chewin'? - 07/16/14 12:30 AM

That's how we hunted ground hogs when I was a kid. Didn't have any guns so we had to run them up trees to catch them. Mother said we was blood thirsty.
Posted By: trapperpaw

Re: HELP! What's Doin' The Chewin'? - 07/16/14 01:22 AM

I looked at some trees that customer knew ground hogs or maybe deer were doing it. It was cats. The lady had several outdoor cats and they hab shredded the bark so bad it looked to be eaten about three feet up. I recommended deheading or declawing the cats they decided to wrap the trees. The wusses haven't done anything except to pay me for telling them the answer to THEIR problem. Were all happy.
Back to the question cats maybe pigmy goats
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: HELP! What's Doin' The Chewin'? - 07/16/14 12:03 PM

chewin at 10 to 12 foot daytime I am with you Paul most likely squirrels. but I will be waiting for the pics for sure.

Re: HELP! What's Doin' The Chewin'? - 07/17/14 07:39 PM

Jonesie, I finally got there today and I hope we nailed it. The trees are actually maples and are between 6 and 10 inches in

circumference. Not very big. The bark is stripped in one half inch or less widths and eight inch or less lengths. All of the damage

could have been done by squirrels and not much else. The guy is aggressive and wants everything gone. My type of customer!

P.S. Because of a pretty decent work load, I almost let this customer slip away. That would not have been prudent!
Posted By: trapperpaw

Re: HELP! What's Doin' The Chewin'? - 07/18/14 03:47 AM

cats clawing
Posted By: MChewk

Re: HELP! What's Doin' The Chewin'? - 07/18/14 10:29 AM

I'm going with a transient porkie,
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: HELP! What's Doin' The Chewin'? - 07/18/14 11:50 AM

If they want it, give it to them LOL get um all $$$$$$$$$$$$
Posted By: Vinke

Re: HELP! What's Doin' The Chewin'? - 07/18/14 07:49 PM

had this call several years ago,,,,,....

Re: HELP! What's Doin' The Chewin'? - 07/19/14 02:14 AM

Okay Vinke, what did it turn out to be?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums