Home

Who wants to talk collarums?

Posted By: Throw Back

Who wants to talk collarums? - 07/05/14 01:47 AM

I was shown these on a different thread and think they could be great. 80$ is steep, but I guess not compared to any other traps we buy.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Who wants to talk collarums? - 07/05/14 02:30 AM

I hope somebody does. My first two attempts were not successful, and I'm reasonably sure that raccoons were the problem. I guess it's a great thing that we have raccoons coming out of our ears, but not so great when you're trying to catch rabbits or coyotes or feral cats or almost any other species.

If you think that canines are the only animals that will pull at your bait, you haven't met our raccoons. By the way, I'm writing this on the evening of the Fourth of July and I'm beginning to wonder why I don't just take an automatic rifle and see how many coyotes and rabbits I can find. I'll guarantee you that nobody will notice the noise.

The difference between an average community and a wealthy community like ours is the quality of the personal fireworks.
Posted By: coney catcher

Re: Who wants to talk collarums? - 07/05/14 07:30 PM

I bought one, cost me £120 thats nearly $200, Badger went with snare off it first night, they are certainly not canine specific.
I have a buddy thats caught a few foxes with them though. we dont have problems with raccoons, wish we did!!
Posted By: Throw Back

Re: Who wants to talk collarums? - 07/05/14 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: coney catcher
I bought one, cost me £120 thats nearly $200, Badger went with snare off it first night, they are certainly not canine specific.
I have a buddy thats caught a few foxes with them though. we dont have problems with raccoons, wish we did!!

Well did it cathc the badger? I thin they mean "catch specific". No one can prevent an animal from messing with a trap, just getting caught in one. How have they been for foxes?
Posted By: Patrick D.

Re: Who wants to talk collarums? - 07/06/14 03:23 AM

I own three of them, and they are a godsend. They catch me a lot of coyotes, fox, and stray dogs, especially in urban areas. The trick is to make sure that only k9 lures and baits on the trigger,
Posted By: coney catcher

Re: Who wants to talk collarums? - 07/06/14 09:54 AM

They were legalized in this country because they were supposed be canine specific, up to now i have not caught any foxes in them.
Badgers here will take any bait thats available from corn to rabbit, probably one of the easiest animals to catch, but totally protected, they are a flaming nuisance.
like i said my buddy has caught a few foxes in them, so i will stick at it till i catsh one.
Posted By: WPS

Re: Who wants to talk collarums? - 07/06/14 11:33 PM

Anyone in Michigan....if I read the Michigan guidebook correctly, one cannot use a Collarum in Michigan?
Posted By: coonwild

Re: Who wants to talk collarums? - 07/07/14 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Patrick D.
I own three of them, and they are a godsend. They catch me a lot of coyotes, fox, and stray dogs, especially in urban areas. The trick is to make sure that only k9 lures and baits on the trigger,

Got any pics of your setup and catches ?
Posted By: mchitwood

Re: Who wants to talk collarums? - 07/07/14 02:37 AM

I have used them for coyote. If the situation calls for them they do work but expect some frustration if raccoons are around. Tim told me to set it completely exposed without covering any part of the set and it worked fine like that. I have had success on flat ground but feel more confident if it is slightly higher than the target. I use the Collarum bait but have heard that others work just as well.
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: Who wants to talk collarums? - 07/12/14 04:45 PM

I guess my experience with collarum is as limited as it can be, but it was positive. Used one collarum for two nights, no non targets, no misses, got the coyote in a development. Worked like a champ.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Who wants to talk collarums? - 07/12/14 06:45 PM

Not legal in Georgia thanks to the Georgia Trappers Association.
Posted By: Baxter

Re: Who wants to talk collarums? - 07/20/14 12:37 AM

I use them all the time, actually going to do a setup tomorrow morning. If you're having problems with non-targets set some cages before the collarum.
Posted By: ADCofWMt

Re: Who wants to talk collarums? - 07/20/14 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: warrior
Not legal in Georgia thanks to the Georgia Trappers Association.

Our association is going in a bad direction as well. Shame when you have to watch your back from them more than the anti's.
Posted By: cjoutdoors

Re: Who wants to talk collarums? - 07/22/14 04:26 PM

i bought two for a nuisance fox. here in nj we cant use footholds. how do you like to set/anchor them? i am planning on using an earth anchor for the cable but wondering how you guys anchor and bed the thrower. also, what baits have you found to work well? would a chicken wing work or should i use a scent?

thanks in advance
© 2024 Trapperman Forums