Home

Pigeon prices up this year?

Posted By: NV man

Pigeon prices up this year? - 06/27/14 02:40 AM

I would like to know if $5 a bird is to low of a selling price this year? Some local dog trainers have offered $2 and claim that none get away...... Anyhow, I think I might band a few pigeons (because I don't want to make too much money off of the same birds). And it would be good capture recapture data experience. Thoughts?
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Pigeon prices up this year? - 06/27/14 09:17 PM

NV, You nailed my start in this business. Our local city had a real problem with pigeons and ( since it was a challenge ) I caught over a thousand in a couple of years.

Since our area had some really well-known dog trainers, I pretty much doubled my pay, and I was hooked on this business forever.

P.S. Since I've also raised English Setters, I can tell you that your experience with pigeons will lead to hardly any recaptures.

However, my recaptures on opossums is astounding. ( The next opossum that I kill will be the first )
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Pigeon prices up this year? - 06/28/14 05:17 AM

Keeping and training bird dogs is expensive. Bird dog guys want to pay as little as possible.

Here outside of Columbus, Ohio, this year, I can't keep cheap pigeons in stock at $6.00 a bird. I have people waiting for more to come in.

The buyers would be happier with cheaper birds, but they have to have them, so price them accordingly.

Keith
Posted By: Starvalleytrappe

Re: Pigeon prices up this year? - 06/29/14 08:10 PM

I wouldn't pay $5 for barn pigeons! But maybe that's just me. Homer pigeons were only costing me $5 when I was buying them. I could take these 100 miles away and they would come home.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums