Posted By: wormbobskey

Re: best skunk bait - 06/17/14 09:16 PM

Fresh grubs.
Posted By: DaveK

Re: best skunk bait - 06/17/14 09:35 PM

Who uses bait anymore?
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: best skunk bait - 06/17/14 09:46 PM

Skunks have one of the best senses of smell for their sized animals so what I'm about to tell you probably won't make a lot of sense.

While something as smelly as fish paste might overwhelm their olfactory senses, it doesn't seem to stop our skunks from tripping the trigger.

I agree with wormbobskey; If I could have fresh lobster, why would I want rotting alewifes? Ask the skunks!
Posted By: wormbobskey

Re: best skunk bait - 06/17/14 09:59 PM

I tried to make a bait last year of fresh preserved grubs. Had a very sweet smell to it, but got no response's from the skunks. I used it in the early trapping season. If a call comes in for skunk removel I'll give it another try. Smelled like it would be good on a cracker.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: best skunk bait - 06/17/14 11:35 PM

Caught 4 this week using barbecue pork rib bones
Posted By: Throw Back

Re: best skunk bait - 06/18/14 12:27 AM

Anything?

I have used bacon, tuna, eggs, cheetos, you name it.

usually use eggs
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: best skunk bait - 06/18/14 01:51 AM

If I need to avoid cats on a property, then I use Blackies Fur King or Grape or Raspberry Jelly with Orange or Cherry Jello powder mixed in or old cherry pie filling........if not then I use canned cat food.
Posted By: 22mag

Re: best skunk bait - 06/18/14 02:23 AM

I do not have a lot of skunk experience yet but when I get those calls, I like Jamesons fireball and one of his LTS's as a trailing scent plus marshmellows and/or fruit loops.
Posted By: DaveK

Re: best skunk bait - 06/18/14 02:34 AM

In the affluent areas, New York strip.
Posted By: mchitwood

Re: best skunk bait - 06/18/14 02:47 AM

Dont know the situation but if I can't positive set we use drift fence combined with a trailing lure.
Posted By: 22mag

Re: best skunk bait - 06/18/14 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: mchitwood
Dont know the situation but if I can't positive set we use drift fence combined with a trailing lure.

Are you typically drift fencing into dbl doors? It works either way on dillers so just curious about skunks.
Posted By: mchitwood

Re: best skunk bait - 06/18/14 03:08 AM

I do use mostly double doors but we still have good luck with singles too. I think that they are committed to going to the back of the trap by the time they have made it that far into the "funnel."
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: best skunk bait - 06/18/14 03:58 AM

Originally Posted By: DaveK
Who uses bait anymore?

I do !
Posted By: Kirk

Re: best skunk bait - 06/18/14 04:02 AM

I use a bannanna flavored bait that I make myself using fruit paste and Bannanna flavored oil from Blackies
Posted By: sgs

Re: best skunk bait - 06/18/14 10:36 AM

There are many good skunk baits but I've very good luck with fish. Canned cat food, sardines, jack mackerel all work well. Some guys have problems with cats when using fish but I haven't.

Cultured eggs (egg base) with a little asafoetida and banana oil mixed in works well too.
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: best skunk bait - 06/18/14 12:14 PM

LT I still do also
Posted By: Sharpbees

Re: best skunk bait - 06/18/14 07:07 PM

Brood comb from my hives
Posted By: ponyboy

Re: best skunk bait - 06/19/14 02:19 PM

Cheese popcorn, bananas, Peanut butter sandwiches (fold overs). I like to give them a nice buffet.
Posted By: Eric Arnold

Re: best skunk bait - 06/19/14 03:27 PM

Any that has the skunk in the trap when I show up! eek
Posted By: TRapper

Re: best skunk bait - 06/21/14 02:33 AM

i love cheese balls....oh yeah i use em for skunks too with some of Jameson's Fireball at the back of the trap for the sweet smell...that is my #1 combination for skunks

Re: best skunk bait - 06/21/14 10:13 PM

Everyone who has met Joshua Jones, raise your hands.

Everyone who has met Joshua and still thinks that the skunks got any cheese balls, raise your hands. Yeah, that's what I thought too.

Re: best skunk bait - 06/24/14 09:49 PM

Now here is something I find extremely interesting. I'm going to bet ( But not a lot of money, of course ) that I have eaten more Alaskan King crab, South African rock lobster tail, and almost certainly any kind of beef that you would like to name.

That in itself, is not amazing. My father was a cattle buyer and my mother was a cook. Put those two together and you have an instant heart attack. ( Yep, I had mine )

What I really don't understand is that at our 50th class reunion, I may have been the only one who weighed almost exactly what he did at our graduation. ( Come on now, you have to really hate a guy like me. I would. )

P.S. My favorite dish is roast duck. And I've eaten it from Alaska, thru Canada, and all the way to Hawaii.
Posted By: TRapper

Re: best skunk bait - 07/02/14 02:53 AM

i am raisin my hand paul....i am trying to decide if i wanna be offended by that comment laugh
© 2024 Trapperman Forums