Home

we all know it but few see it

Posted By: Jonesie

we all know it but few see it - 05/21/14 12:47 AM

Right before dark I was out in the yard the dogs was running around when I heard them chop barking like a coon hound on a tree. lab and her pup and a lab pointer mix that we breed. any way I go over into the woods to see a ground hog up the tree and both of them dogs just pounding that tree LOL Made me thing of my old coon running days LOL any way I ran and grabbed the camera and took a few real fast.
center tree at the base you can see the chocolate dog up on the tree.

look good at the base you will see the blond jumping up and you can see the hog.

And here is close up, of the hog. just posted for kicks and giggles
Posted By: mchitwood

Re: we all know it but few see it - 05/21/14 03:37 AM

Pretty cool that you got a picture of it. I've only seen it once, when I was a kid. Had a Jack Russel run one into a poplar.
Posted By: Big Bear Wildlif

Re: we all know it but few see it - 05/21/14 10:26 AM

A friend of mine took one out of the ceiling in a garage. Big surprise for him. I never saw one treed though. Great pictures.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: we all know it but few see it - 05/21/14 01:10 PM

Watching them shoot up the two by fours in a garage and into the soffit is not near as exciting for me.

I will always remember the one that came shooting out from below the dishwasher in this customer's spotless kitchen.
Posted By: 22mag

Re: we all know it but few see it - 05/21/14 04:38 PM

Nice pics Jonesie.
Posted By: huntinjunkie

Re: we all know it but few see it - 05/21/14 06:46 PM

Yup...I've only seen it once when I was a kid. Back when I thought that sitting watching a mound for 3 hours in the afternoon was fun.
Posted By: Phil Nichols

Re: we all know it but few see it - 05/21/14 08:07 PM

Saw one in a pear tree. Do your dogs climb trees?
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: we all know it but few see it - 05/21/14 10:09 PM

they was trying. I have seen them in mulberry tree and peach tree a time or 2, and saw one up maybe 15 plus feet in a tree, what type I can't remember and doing what I have no Idea. They are always climbing over the wooden fences, but this is the first time I have seen one treed by dogs.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: we all know it but few see it - 05/22/14 01:48 AM

I shot one out of the top of a 40 foot tree. He climbed all the way up to the skinny limbs. I was walking a dirt road and apparently he was on the opposite side of the road from his den hole and had no other choice.
Posted By: peacekeeper

Re: we all know it but few see it - 05/22/14 09:24 AM

When I was a kid living in Michigan I used to see ground hogs climb trees sometimes. One time I was sitting quietly on a log in the middle of a large woods when a ground hog came out of a hole nearby. It casually walked over to a tree, climbed up about 30 ft. and stretched out on a limb to take a nap in the sun. I think it was trying to get in touch with its inner squirrel.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums