Home

Chipmunk Trap

Posted By: LBEE

Chipmunk Trap - 04/24/14 05:26 PM

I have a lot of chipmunks around my Yard who burrow...Like to find a way to thin them out or wipe them out, I was hoping someone here would have some knowledge to share or tricks I could use. Thank you in advance.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Chipmunk Trap - 04/24/14 07:08 PM

Traps
Posted By: Jaxjaguarss

Re: Chipmunk Trap - 04/24/14 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: warrior
Traps

David:

Your answers are so verbose. :0)

--Eddie
Posted By: opie28

Re: Chipmunk Trap - 04/24/14 08:38 PM

First you need to make sure it is legal to trap them. I use #1 ls or rat snap traps inside weasel boxes with sunflower seeds as bait. Also make sure you tie or stake your traps so that they don't run off with them.
Posted By: mousie

Re: Chipmunk Trap - 04/24/14 09:34 PM

the best chipmunk trap was designed by Lt grey and later sold by scott balts of aes traps and tools in minnesota. his company has been sold to another minnesotian who goes by the handle Lundy on here. the trap however remains the same. WCS this forums sponsor also makes a copy of it called i believe the simple squirrel trap.
Posted By: swampdonkey

Re: Chipmunk Trap - 04/24/14 10:26 PM

Like any trap ..the best lies in the eyes of the beholder .. when it comes to chipmunks..how can you go wrong ?
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Chipmunk Trap - 04/24/14 11:43 PM

Well, I hate to brag. ( That's not quite true, I really love it. ) But when it comes to chipmunks, I am the master. This is mainly because of size.

When I was younger I started with the dinosaurs and mastodons, but as I grew older, I thought that down-sizing meant the size of animals. I figure that by time I hit the nineties, mosquitoes and fireflies will be all I'm able to handle.

Anyway, back to those vicious chipmunks. I have caught chipmunks in just about every kind of trap that you can imagine. I caught over sixty on one property using the all metal 3"x3"X10" trap sold by both Tomahawk and Safeguard. ( Relocate them to people you despise )
Posted By: warrior

Re: Chipmunk Trap - 04/24/14 11:58 PM

I've found the style of trap matters not, any suitable size cage or rat size snap works just fine. The two items that are important are location and set. Location needs to be on the natural runs the chippies are using. Set needs to be cubby like offering a nice dark place to run that chippies prefer. To this end I like to wrap my cages and snaps go in weasel boxes.
Posted By: bdrooks

Re: Chipmunk Trap - 04/25/14 01:10 AM

i am having great succes with the no mole traps. set trap and stick i down the hole. i have a customer i am trapping them for right now and that is the main trap i use but not the only trap. snap traps work great too.
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: Chipmunk Trap - 04/25/14 06:25 PM

I am familiar with the metal box traps Paul refers to and have used them successfully. Only thing, the ones I had are temperamental, always needing adjusting for pan tension. Sometimes touchy and next time worn't fire. Could be temperature as a factor. If you spend time to adjust they are ok, but not if you don't. Having critters in a box is nice for indoor, chipmunks, mice etc. Another issue is they seem to get smelly and need cleaning often from feces and old baits.

Re: Chipmunk Trap - 04/25/14 10:30 PM

You ain't wrong Jim. Just like many other traps, they work great out of the box and then the animals decide to redo 'em. Kind of like twisting the wires on a Comstock after a raccoon wandered in.

Speaking of Comstocks, I had three ( count them, three ) new jobs today. A rabbit job, ( you have to keep your fingers crossed this time of the year ) a raccoon job, ( should be a least one coon waiting for me tomorrow ) and a woodchuck job, ( where, of course, I used 2 Comstocks ) and they have already called with a catch.

Kind of makes you wonder how many jobs the guys had that weren't retired?

Re: Chipmunk Trap - 04/25/14 10:59 PM

I just tagged this one in a Comstock last week...overnight !

Re: Chipmunk Trap - 04/25/14 11:07 PM

Joe, I seem to be getting resistance with the cottontails from the wires in the Comstocks. Any tips?

Re: Chipmunk Trap - 04/26/14 12:31 AM

Ya...a beagle on his butt....Honestly..No....This was actually a non-target catch on granny smith apples....I couldn't catch a rabbit overnight if my life depended on it..it just happened...maybe really hungry. The women i was trapping for said this was her husband, don't ask...i don't know...Ironicly is was Easter morning ..OOPS !

Re: Chipmunk Trap - 04/26/14 01:09 AM

Okay kids; if you didn't get any Easter candy, don't blame your vegetarian parents. It was Mr. Robidoux's fault. He caught the Easter bunny.
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: Chipmunk Trap - 04/26/14 01:12 AM

Wink, by the time you hit 90 y.o.a. (and I hope you do),...you won't be able to see flies.

Re: Chipmunk Trap - 04/26/14 03:27 PM

Dave, I hope you're wrong about me not being able to see my fly when I'm 90. Running around in those adult diapers does not sound like fun.
Posted By: Alpha Backflow

Re: Chipmunk Trap - 04/30/14 02:21 AM

You guys know their reading all this.lol
Posted By: Lundy

Re: Chipmunk Trap - 04/30/14 06:10 AM

Rick, are you talking about the trap that goes over the hole? AES Traps, formerly AES Traps and Tools, makes the same thing. 330-Trapper made them and we still make them. Safegaurd may be advertising them as a new design, but AES has marketed them, for several years. I don't mind imitation, it's the best kind of flattery, but we make a heavier duty trap out of 14 gauge wire instead of 16 gauge.
We are making several improvements to the model we got from Scott. We will update our website with pictures as soon as we can, and soon we will have our production figured out so we can start taking orders. We are figuring out some improvements on a good product to make it even better. My whole family is involved in making these traps. I am making changes, then getting their input, to make sure it is a good change.
Posted By: ponyboy

Re: Chipmunk Trap - 04/30/14 02:37 PM

I like weasel boxes with a rat trap inside. Baited with a good squirrel mix and or black sunflower seeds. Top it off with a good shot of Jameson's nutcracker juice. Weasel boxes are deadly on chipmunks.
Posted By: Lundy

Re: Chipmunk Trap - 04/30/14 05:28 PM

Great idea! We have added gravity doors as an option on all models. We can add a second door instead of a solid end. We have an add on nosecone with wings to use on our basic traps. Many more improvements coming!
Posted By: Phil Nichols

Re: Chipmunk Trap - 04/30/14 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Alpha Backflow

You guys know their reading all this.lol

Is he reading a bag of AC-90? We put weasel boxes then crash the burrows.

Re: Chipmunk Trap - 05/01/14 06:41 PM

You guys that can find all the chipmunk holes are lucky. I bet I don't find 20% of the holes. ( But on a quiet day I listen for Simon, Theodore, and Alvin, to start singing. Then someone hollers ALVIN, and I got 'em )
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: Chipmunk Trap - 05/02/14 01:49 AM

Even for chipmunks and squirrels I lean on double door traps, used at or over a den, baitless. Double door, push through traps can be set along runways, up against structure, again without bai, to take chippies. If you prefer baiting, just sprinkling sunflower seeds in them. The advantage of a panless trap is that it is virtually impossible for chippies or squirrels to pass through the trap without capture, nothing to avoid and they have even been known to catch mice.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums