Home

bullfrog problem?

Posted By: Swift Arrow

bullfrog problem? - 04/19/14 02:34 AM

I have a opp. to take care of a golf course that has been over run with bullfrogs. Anyone have any experience trapping frogs!!!!!!!!
any info would be a great help.
thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: bullfrog problem? - 04/19/14 02:46 AM

Pellet gun and a flashlight works if its legal.
Posted By: coonfinder

Re: bullfrog problem? - 04/19/14 03:19 AM

JUST GIG EM!!! lol. Or you can use a spotlight and a landing net, works pretty good!
Posted By: coonfinder

Re: bullfrog problem? - 04/19/14 03:19 AM

also X2 on the pellet gun and a flashlight works good too!!! Or you can get some target practice in for deer season and use your bow.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: bullfrog problem? - 04/19/14 03:34 AM

My experience kind of curtails at the harvesting part but eating frog legs is a very pleasant past time.

For those of you that missed Red Green: It is no longer "road kill". The new term is "All natural, organically raised, free range, automotively processed, food products."
Posted By: Lundy

Re: bullfrog problem? - 04/19/14 04:15 AM

Always remember, if the Women don't find you handsome, they can at least find you handy.
Posted By: 1st RiverRat

Re: bullfrog problem? - 04/19/14 04:26 AM

Gig em
Posted By: Davexx1

Re: bullfrog problem? - 04/19/14 10:46 AM

American bull frog legs are great eating. Big ones have alot of meat on the legs. Get a good frog gig and get after them. Go out well after dark with frog gig attached to a long pole (cane pole or other) and a good headlight. Most frog gigging is done from a small boat at night moving around slowly. Frogs will be sitting on top of the grass at night around the shallow water. Eye shine and yellow throat patch reveals the frog. Don't gig anything you are not sure of. Cottonmouths can be found in the same area also.

There are other types of frogs so learn/know which type they have there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_bullfrog

Dave
Posted By: Budfish

Re: bullfrog problem? - 04/19/14 10:59 AM

Gigs, frog catchers, boat paddles, dip nets, etc. Night time with spot light. Gonna take a while tio knock them down. Or just invite a couple cajuns to come do it for you, they will likely clean them up and fry a few dozen every night! grin
Posted By: Albert Burns

Re: bullfrog problem? - 04/19/14 12:32 PM

We work on a few of the local golf courses removing them, when in season up here. Most complaints are about the noise keeping the homeowners awake at night. We have found gigging them at night to be the most effective way in a short period of time. If you decide to choose this route, I will shorten your learning curve a little. This is the gig to buy, very nice high quality item. We used these in Florida on the airboats when commercial frogging. They are aluminum and extend to 16 feet. It sounds like a long way, but on those ponds if you want to reach out and touch someone, this will do it. Nothing worse than a big bullfrog one foot farther away than you can reach.
http://www.sbtoutdoors.com/Merchant2/mer...ategory_Code=MB

We have taken as many as 53 off one pond in a couple hours, and it was easy to see why people were complaining. Here is my "assistant" after a successful night, its easy to get them to help with this kind of stuff.
Posted By: warrior

Re: bullfrog problem? - 04/19/14 12:51 PM

Noise? Frogs are a lullaby for this old river rat. I once set out to ID every frog I heard on my river back home. I counted over 20 different toads and frogs, including tree frogs, on my stretch of the warrior river.
The night is to quiet here in Georgia.
Posted By: scratch1990

Re: bullfrog problem? - 04/19/14 01:42 PM

Call Jase Of Duck Dynasty.It's His Passion.
Posted By: Phil Nichols

Re: bullfrog problem? - 04/20/14 01:09 AM

We had one job where 1/2 inch mesh nets were set after seeing the frogs patterns. This was a big job with lots of frogs. Another job was done at night with sling shots and 22's. This was smaller job. Both jobs are at the top of the 'most fun jobs' list. All were bullfrogs.

I noticed frog complainers are often from other cultures, here in America, now to moan and complain about our American frogs and snakes. The nerve of them.
Posted By: huntinjunkie

Re: bullfrog problem? - 04/20/14 04:14 PM

Experienced losing some to deep water with a BB gun. As sometimes they kick etc without a perfect hit.
Posted By: Coondog6

Re: bullfrog problem? - 04/20/14 10:25 PM

Gig them and eat them!
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: bullfrog problem? - 04/22/14 12:54 AM

I'm just wondeering what kind of idiot complains about bullfrogs. It's the symphony of the swamp. Don't like a native species in its own habitat? Go live in a high-rise.
P.S. Golf courses are some of the most artificial, pesticide-soaked, non-native species-laden places that exist. Give it a coupla seasons- the natives will all die of pesticide poisoning.
Posted By: willvalley

Re: bullfrog problem? - 04/22/14 03:59 AM

If Utah is like Oregon bullfrogs are invasive. Which ever method you use, gigs or guns, do it at night for the best results. In Oregon's past there was a limit on them, 12 per day. ODFW found out that they were killing off the native frogs and turtles after a pile of years. They pretty much decimated both species before ODFW changed the limit to "all you can kill".\
Bullfrogs are about the most predatory critter alive. If it moves they will try to eat it. You can catch them with a fishing pole. It takes a bit of practice and patients but on small ponds like most golf courses water obstacles it can be done. I am not talking about dangling something in front of them either. I cleaned up on them when younger using a couple of other methods with spinning gear. Twas a lot of fun for sure.
Posted By: Benjaminturtle

Re: bullfrog problem? - 05/08/14 02:54 PM

...I've always used a pole with red,or bright cloth on the hook...in daytime...a dandy lions flower works well too!!!!
Posted By: Eric Arnold

Re: bullfrog problem? - 05/08/14 05:35 PM

I'd like to print some recipes for frog legs and turtles in the next WCT magazine. Anyone want to offer up their favorites? You can either post here or PM me. Include your name so I can give the proper credit.
Posted By: trapperpaw

Re: bullfrog problem? - 05/09/14 02:14 AM

gig'em, grab'em or shoot them. I prefer a 22 on frogs they always seem to have a jump left in them. the best round I have found for frogs is the remington viper with it's flat end all of the energy transfers int othe frog immediately disabling him so you can retrieve him for consumption.
I soak his legs in salt water dip him in milk and egg then Kentucky Kernal Flour and either fry him in a pan or deep fry him. Tarter sauce if you like. Some beer and friends nd you got it made. The beer and friends are the two most important...bourbon ifr u prefer.
The other Paul just puts one foot behind each ear and seems to enjoy them:-)
Posted By: trapperpaw

Re: bullfrog problem? - 05/09/14 02:16 AM

I wish somebody would pay me to get their frogs I'd be famous and would move to Alaska to sell freezers!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums