Home

question about scaring of Hawks?

Posted By: Mac

question about scaring of Hawks? - 04/14/14 11:07 AM

Howdy
A lady at school knows I trap and asked me how to solve a problem. She told me a Hawk was using her mother's bird feeders as his or her grocery store. It seems like Hawk had taken up residence close by and she sees it knocking off her song birds.

I told her that it was not legal to bother them as I they are protected. I told her to call a game warden and he told her to stop feeding the birds.

Is there some type of decoy like an fake Owl etc. that would keep the Hawk away? I feel kind of bad for the old girl. Lost her husband not all that long ago and she gets a lot of pleasure out of watching and feeding birds.

Thanks

mac
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: question about scaring of Hawks? - 04/14/14 11:47 AM

I think stopping the feeding is the best bet. The songbirds will leave within a couple of days and the hawk will go away. About a week after they leave she can probably start feeding them again.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: question about scaring of Hawks? - 04/14/14 11:55 AM

Unfortunantely it is nature at work again. What you describe goes on all over the country for folks that attract birds and rodents to their homes for their viewing enjoyment by means of putting up bird feeders. We get these calls very often along with birds flying into bay and bow windows and birds pecking vehicle mirrors.

Not many things will work for very long for deterring birds of any kind. Birds of all types are a very resilent and adaptable creature.Visual scare tactics are short lived for the most part and devices such as owls, snakes and such just dont do much. They just become ornaments. Sorry but I dont know of any viable means of correction for this problem in my experiences. Removing the feeders is the best and only real effective option.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: question about scaring of Hawks? - 04/14/14 02:11 PM

How about a fake songbird stuffed with Ex-Lax.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: question about scaring of Hawks? - 04/14/14 04:33 PM

Get a permit for laser harrasment?
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: question about scaring of Hawks? - 04/16/14 02:23 AM

You don't need a permit from USFWS to harass hawks. Unfortunately they aren't readily harassed. They can be stubborn.
Posted By: Mac

Re: question about scaring of Hawks? - 04/24/14 12:21 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

Mac
© 2024 Trapperman Forums