Home

spring yotes

Posted By: Rye

spring yotes - 03/20/14 12:20 AM

What things do you differently to bag coyotes in the late spring for ADC work? Never tried to catch them during the spring before, curious what is done different. Different bait? Different sets? Lures?
Posted By: Paul Antczak

Re: spring yotes - 03/20/14 12:33 AM

Bait works great this time of year. Prey animals are few. Gland also works good. IMO
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: spring yotes - 03/20/14 12:50 PM

It seems to me that as soon as they drop there
Pups baited sets really work well, along with
Shooting off bait stations. They need the food bad
And get a little braver.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: spring yotes - 03/20/14 01:22 PM

My coyote trapping methods as far as lure, baits and sets go dont vary from spring, summer and winter. I mix up the presentations with flat sets, scent posts and walk thru sets.

The more important criteria is knowing your animal habits/behavior for different times of the year. This only comes with experience and understanding the animal to the best of your abilities.

This time of year paired coyotes are primarily focusing their movements around their main home range in close proximitty to their selected den sites. Many single unattached coyotes will blend their behavior and hang out close to a mated pairs den site if not driven out due to a dominate territorial conflict with the pair.

Locating the hub of activity by listening to vocals,finding tracks and sightings from glassing areas will help to give you a range of focus on their hang out areas.

Spring summer coyote work is nothing like fall / winter trapping as far as text book locations. If you arent spot on with your animals home area, travel lanes and lay up spots you wont be very productive this time of year.
Posted By: Rye

Re: spring yotes - 03/20/14 06:54 PM

thanks fellas!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums