Home

Raccoon invasion in full swing.

Posted By: Ron Scheller

Raccoon invasion in full swing. - 11/28/13 12:36 AM

Every year there is an immediate transition from late fall bat work to early winter squirrel and coon calls. Seems to happen overnight, like a light switch.

This lady said she thought there was a rodeo in her attic last night. Classic attic vent entry. Usually they go through the gable vents where they have to hang upside-down by one back foot to rip it open. This one wasn't even a challege, as they could stand on the roof for their demolition work.

People have been installing these raccoon ladders on their homes for decades. Sometimes they are even used for mounting antennas!

Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Raccoon invasion in full swing. - 11/28/13 01:39 AM

Ours just prefer to climb up the downspouts on the corner of homes or structures.
Posted By: BUD25

Re: Raccoon invasion in full swing. - 11/28/13 01:44 AM

Have only done one raccoon job where a coon got through a garage window screen to get cat food.... No other calls/ jobs for them inside structures... frown
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Raccoon invasion in full swing. - 11/28/13 02:11 AM

Ron, those raccoon ladders are also excellent for raccoon removal technicians.

Jordan, so how much are you going to pay me to send you a truckload of home invading raccoons?
Posted By: Nathan Krause

Re: Raccoon invasion in full swing. - 11/28/13 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Jordan, so how much are you going to pay me to send you a truckload of home invading raccoons?

I will come pick them up from you Paul. I am always in the market for coon this time of year. lol
Posted By: Barehunter

Re: Raccoon invasion in full swing. - 11/28/13 02:53 AM

I've been doing this a few years now and am disappointed to say that I have never had a call for a coon inside a residence. Had plenty of calls for coons raiding chicken pens etc but none in attics. Really surprises me. Maybe this winter! Somebody ship me a box of home invading coons!
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: Raccoon invasion in full swing. - 11/28/13 04:16 AM

Ron to customer: See, they got in through that louver...
Customer: A coon did that??!
Ron: Yes, and it probably took him all of five seconds.

Re: Raccoon invasion in full swing. - 11/28/13 04:16 AM

While raccoons inside homes is very common around here, raccoons inside the actual living quarters is a little more rare. Having said that, a couple of years ago, I had an adult raccoon in a kitchen, I had one in the closet of a bedroom, and two running around in a sun porch. All those calls were in a few week period and all those jobs were from the subdivision right across the street. ( And no, our business had nothing to do with these raccoons except for their removal which I handled personally because they were so close )
Posted By: Ron Scheller

Re: Raccoon invasion in full swing. - 11/28/13 04:29 AM

I can't believe there are regions where they don't get into the attics. Wow. This spring I did right at the 100 mark on raccoons in attics/fireplaces. Of course that includes kits, but still a BUNCH of coons in structures. Our raccoon numbers (wooded areas and urban) are at very high levels, so there are no available den trees.... no vacancy, they're all taken. Houses become choice real estate for a momma coon looking for a place to have young.
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: Raccoon invasion in full swing. - 11/28/13 04:33 AM

Oh, yeah, trees...that's where the coons have to live when there are no houses nearby.

Re: Raccoon invasion in full swing. - 11/28/13 04:46 PM

The Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewer District is landlord for the largest percentage of raccoon living in Milwaukee county. Unfortunately, those sewer raccoon are not known for their beautiful shiny coats.
Posted By: sgs

Re: Raccoon invasion in full swing. - 11/28/13 05:43 PM

Quote:
Our raccoon numbers (wooded areas and urban) are at very high levels, so there are no available den trees.... no vacancy, they're all taken. Houses become choice real estate for a momma coon looking for a place to have young.

I agree. Same for squirrels.

When the population exceeds the number of natural denning sites houses are the next best option.

Fortunately, in my area squirrels are at a very high population level and have been for several years. They provide plenty of work.

On the other hand, raccoons have been at a very low population and the only calls I get are for trash can raiders.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Raccoon invasion in full swing. - 11/30/13 05:01 PM

Quote:
there are no available den trees.... no vacancy, they're all taken.

I believe That is is a learned process......

We don't have many coons living in chimneys even though there are many un used,,I think it is because they were used up untill recently

One development of 1000's of homes,,,,,they only tear in though the shake roof,,,,even though the crawl vents are easily compromised...

Other areas will only be though the vents under the deck
Posted By: Holt

Re: Raccoon invasion in full swing. - 11/30/13 06:50 PM

I agree 100%. There is no doubt in my mind that entry into a home is a process passed from female to young. One of the most shocking things to me WAS finding out there were operators around the country who have never had a raccoon in chimney call their entire time in business.

As far as animals entering homes...Just what is a house but dead wood with a hollow, throw in a little water damage and wood rot and it has "the scent" of a hollow tree. As a matter of fact the best hollow tree ever, nesting material present, dry, ventilation and heck some of our coons even compromise flex venting and have AC crazy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07h2O496kyU BEST VIDEO EVER!!!!

And its just not coon. Guys I know regularly deal with chipmunks living in homes and while we get a job or two for them inside its (outdoor trapping a common job here)almost always due to cat bringing inside or freak occurrence such as running in through door.

Re: Raccoon invasion in full swing. - 11/30/13 08:28 PM

Charles, that is the best video ever. And it's kind of funny to see Dean Winters, who does those commercials, on so many TV programs. I am guessing that some of these guys make at least as much as the "stars". They're always busy.
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Raccoon invasion in full swing. - 12/03/13 02:16 AM

Hahaha great video
Posted By: Holt

Re: Raccoon invasion in full swing. - 12/03/13 09:25 PM

That vid always puts a smile on my face. And for those who don't get raccoons entering attics of homes he has it down pat. For all intent and purpose he is a raccoon in an attic (except for eating insulation) even his "entry point" conforms to entry I see here. I bet we get a few dozen calls a year where the customer has first called police to report a break in. When we are describing wildlife related noise to a potential customer I like to point out based on their perception of noise in attic...If you think you have squirrels it is most likely mice...If you think you have a raccoon it is most likely squirrels...and if you think you have a human in your attic you most likely have raccoons.

Re: Raccoon invasion in full swing. - 12/03/13 10:37 PM

Charles, I have used that same line of thinking very often with customers. The one where the police seem to always beat me, is the raccoon falling through the broken glass or plastic of a skylight. I had one that fell three stories and still was able to land on a nice soft couch. I like the fact that for whatever reason, the police are almost always instructed to call people like us, rather than blowing holes through the raccoons and the walls behind them!
Posted By: Chick

Re: Raccoon invasion in full swing. - 12/07/13 07:04 AM

Coons are in full swing this year. I have trapped 15 coons, in the alleyway of my barn, and relocated them to the bayou. I figured they were a ways from prime. This way, they are out of my hair, but someone may profit from them later on.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Raccoon invasion in full swing. - 12/07/13 01:57 PM

This was my 4th year full time and I have only
Had 3 raccoon calls In the entire time of buisiness.
Where they were in the attic or in a chimney. I have
However had a few calls to deal with the aftermath of
Them being in attics! Another thing I noticed is that all
The jobs for coon have been lake or riverfront houses!
Posted By: Chick

Re: Raccoon invasion in full swing. - 12/10/13 12:22 AM

I had a coon get in my attic at my lake house and destroy the ceiling tile.
Posted By: purplebuck

Re: Raccoon invasion in full swing. - 01/08/14 03:15 AM

Thanks for sharing the video Charles! Priceless!
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Raccoon invasion in full swing. - 01/08/14 10:01 PM

yep just got off the phone with another coon job, guy told me last night that coon was all over his roof. it was around 10 degrees here.
Posted By: Phil Nichols

Re: Raccoon invasion in full swing. - 01/09/14 06:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Jonesie
yep just got off the phone with another coon job, guy told me last night that coon was all over his roof. it was around 10 degrees here.

It is too hot for Annie to wear her raccoon fur hat while shoveling snow when it is 10 degrees, got to be at least 0 degrees.

If I get no raccoon calls between now and next NAFA sale, raccoon avg. will be $150 guaranteed.
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Raccoon invasion in full swing. - 01/09/14 01:57 PM

as was stated once a animal is born in a attic or chimney that is where the young female is going to go to have her young be it squirrels, raccoons, foxes under decks the young go to a deck, skunks under sheds the same thing.
Posted By: DAVE SALYS-CWCP

Re: Raccoon invasion in full swing. - 01/09/14 02:05 PM

I have no doubt it's a learned trait, in all these years I've only received a half dozen of those calls. the last one was from a local bug guy, his client called complaining of noises in the ceiling, his tech like all bug guys that don't know their azz from a hole in the ground threw poison in there, he killed momma coon and her kits. Bob the bug guy calls me in a panic "what do I do? this attic is just an air space no real room and I've got stinking rotting bodies in there." I told him I need to see it to help him, "NO, my client is super rich and very picky he won't let you on the property". Well Bob then I can't help you. Bob hasn't spoken to me since.
Posted By: Phil Nichols

Re: Raccoon invasion in full swing. - 01/09/14 02:39 PM

Sounds like you are better off for that Dave.
Posted By: crzybowhntr

Re: Raccoon invasion in full swing. - 01/14/14 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Holt
When we are describing wildlife related noise to a potential customer I like to point out based on their perception of noise in attic...If you think you have squirrels it is most likely mice...If you think you have a raccoon it is most likely squirrels...and if you think you have a human in your attic you most likely have raccoons.

LOL
© 2024 Trapperman Forums