Home

Skunk trapping

Posted By: Liltrapper

Skunk trapping - 10/26/13 10:01 PM

Gonna try my hand at skunk trapping but I do t have very many cage traps was wondering what else worked well for skunk trapping without losing the essence? I thought about 220 or 160 coin in box sets but like I said want to collect the essence, any suggestions. I don't have I don't have a lot of money to invest and I can't afford to buy spray proof traps but very handy at making things, any traps that are easily made the will work? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Posted By: The Trapster

Re: Skunk trapping - 10/26/13 11:00 PM

Get more cages only advise I can give.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Skunk trapping - 10/26/13 11:35 PM

Anyway you catch them regardless of the method requires euthanizing or sedating the skunk to extract the essence. So once you catch it how are you going to dispatch it to drain the essence. Most methods of dispatch will cause the skunk to spray. You can get lucky at times with a fast kill with a conibear.But that isnt any guarantee either it will be odor proof.

The only fool proof method is chemical uthanazia/sedation done properly. Not knowing your age or experience that one little issue may be challenging for you.
Posted By: BUD25

Re: Skunk trapping - 10/27/13 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Bob Jameson
Anyway you catch them regardless of the method requires euthanizing or sedating the skunk to extract the essence. So once you catch it how are you going to dispatch it to drain the essence. Most methods of dispatch will cause the skunk to spray. You can get lucky at times with a fast kill with a conibear.But that isnt any guarantee either it will be odor proof.

The only fool proof method is chemical uthanazia/sedation done properly. Not knowing your age or experience that one little issue may be challenging for you.

Good old fashion trial and error

Re: Skunk trapping - 10/27/13 02:41 AM

Im 24 been trapping for three years, never caught a skunk, was told i could drown them if caught in a cage trap, but maybe I should think more about this before I spend time preparing, what are you using to sedate/uthanazia?
Posted By: Mike K.

Re: Skunk trapping - 10/27/13 03:15 AM

First, we are not supposed to talk about euthanasia on this forum but I have included a link that is appropriate for your question. Second,I suggest contacting your state officials for more information concerning this method..

https://www.avma.org/KB/Policies/Documents/euthanasia.pdf

AVMA Guidelines
for the Euthanasia
of Animals: 2013 Edition

Read section S7. CAPTIVE AND FREE-RANGING
NONDOMESTIC ANIMALS

Re: Skunk trapping - 10/27/13 04:11 AM

ok sorry not trying to break any rules, just interested but I think I am going to just pass on collecting the essence, and just keep the fur. Thanks for the help guys
Posted By: ADCofWMt

Re: Skunk trapping - 10/27/13 04:52 AM

Essence is worth more than the fur and is easier to collect.
Posted By: Mike K.

Re: Skunk trapping - 10/27/13 03:07 PM

Liltrapper - you might check the lure formulation forum for help with collecting skunk essence. Hope it helps.

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/37/1/Lure_and_Bait_Formulator_s_for
© 2024 Trapperman Forums