Home

Red fox in cage traps

Posted By: blackhammer

Red fox in cage traps - 09/07/13 03:14 AM

Anyone catch adult red fox in cages?
Posted By: Nathan Krause

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/07/13 03:25 AM

Yes.

Reds are pretty easy to catch in cages. The trick for me has been using a trap with a wire pan instead of solid metal. if solid metal is the only option then I like tying a road kill rabbit in the back of the cage and set the trigger on very sensitive. They seem to step over the pan and the pulling on the bait is enough to close the door on them.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/07/13 03:38 PM

Quote:
They seem to step over the pan

wouldn't a "GUIDE" solve this?...
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/07/13 07:41 PM

Vinke, a good Alaskan guide can be expensive. I found using Wickenkamps for foxes to be ideal. ( Although I may try Comstocks too )

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/07/13 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Vinke
Quote:
They seem to step over the pan

wouldn't a "GUIDE" solve this?...

A picture would be fantastic.
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/08/13 04:35 AM

Yup
Posted By: mousie

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/10/13 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Trapping By Nate
Yes.

Reds are pretty easy to catch in cages. The trick for me has been using a trap with a wire pan instead of solid metal. if solid metal is the only option then I like tying a road kill rabbit in the back of the cage and set the trigger on very sensitive. They seem to step over the pan and the pulling on the bait is enough to close the door on them.

you wont mind showing us some of your pictures to back up that statement.

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/10/13 02:29 AM

mousie, keep in mind that Nate is also talking about young foxes too. Very rarely do I catch the female around the den but I nail dear old dad quite often. ( Sometimes I think he would rather be hauled away than having to hunt night and day to keep everyone fed )

P.S. I have a bunch of fox pictures; I'm just too dumb to figure out how to post them.

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/10/13 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: mousie
Originally Posted By: Trapping By Nate
Yes.

you wont mind showing us some of your pictures to back up that statement.

Nope. I am pretty sure I do not need to back up my statement. Anyone who has been doing this line of work for any amount of time knows reds are not hard to catch in a cage. Next time you get called for a fox job leave the foot holds at home and give it a try. You might shock yourself.
Posted By: Kristen🦊

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/10/13 10:56 AM

Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/10/13 12:15 PM

I disagree.
Anyone who makes such a claim, should be able to post a picture.
To do so may indicate otherwise...and anyone who traps, has photos.
They just do.
(unless you're Amish)

While red fox pups are not hard to catch in urban settings in cage traps, (while they are young) adult red foxes are a different matter.
Yes, I do know that adult red foxes can be caught in cage traps, I myself have done it.
It isn't something I would say I can easily do, all the time.

LATrapper is the one man I would say has done it the most with his drift fencing etc.

Red foxes as a whole, are too wary to take numbers of them in cage traps.
If they weren't, we'd all be catching them like raccoon.
Do trappers catch them ?
Sure. But they can back up their claims.
And if I make one, I'll have a pic to support it!

They above picture indicates is a carrying cage, with its wired shut doors and strap, more than an actual trap, although not to say it isn't the trap that caught the fox.

I'd like to tell you I can do this easily, but it only happened once...

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/10/13 12:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Kristen
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/10/13 01:39 PM

Lol I say grow up and get over it! Let mousie
Settle her own dispute, you run to her like a mother
Goose!

I've cought 3 adult red fox in cage traps. And I
Don't have a pic of any of them.
Also never set up for a red fox job yet that
I Didnt get the adult in the first 3 days! So
Is it easy? I guess so far it has been! Maybe
It varies from area to area. So get off the high
Horse and why does anyone have to prove anything
to you two?

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/10/13 04:52 PM

I still stand behind my statement that, basically is just agreeing that trappers who make statement should be able to 'back up their claims ! '
Many trappers like fisherman, tell some mighty tall tales...and that isn't to say one was just told. not at all.
Just that when a trapper says something, it shouldn't be a problem to prove it !

If I ask LATrapper to prove it......he could do it very easily...and has !

Vinke proved he could catch mink and otter in cage traps with ease, Havaharts, none the less.
And he did it with photos...

I have over 3000 pictures on Photobucket.
I could come up with a couple of pictures, if someone ask...

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/10/13 06:47 PM

I don't disagree with LT. Nothing wrong with asking someone to back up their statement. Especially when a lot of people on this forum are in business less than a year and pretend to know everything about wildlife control.

But the person who asked is the reason I said no. I don't like Mousie. I think she is rude, childish, and comes off as a know it all. And she is one of those who has been riding in a passenger seat for a few months and talks like she knows everything. I am sure LT is a great teacher and have heard nothing but good about his training but I will not entertain mousie on this forum.

I am certain I saw Jordan ask her a question directly in the past that she avoided answering, so why should I answer her question? She might feel she is above answering his questions but I know I am above answering hers.

Don't get me wrong, I wish her all the best and hope she is successful, but I don't like her trapperman persona and chose to not deal with her.

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/10/13 07:45 PM

Gotta back Nate on that one... wink

Conflict of interest, will often times cause people to butt heads or avoid people altogether.
If someone chooses to NOT acknowledge someone for whatever reason, that is certainly their choice.

I don't care to answer Bud's question, if it had been ask of me.
It wasn't.
mousie was in fact trained by me.
She is currently off on her own and I do wish her much success.
While she comes off as 'I can do it better than you can', it is just someone trying to prove themselves.
She is, in fact a very good WCO.
Probably as good as many guys who have worked with/for me.
Her shortcomings are her size and upper body strength, although she is very strong for someone 115 lbs.
Still, you won't see her pick up a 40 ft. ladder and most of us could !
It's hard for a woman to compete in this business, or trapping in general.
Men will flat run over you, a point I've often stressed.
mousie will get ran over and it won't be the first time.
She will however pick herself up, toughen up and maybe learn to shut up...(well, two outsa three ain't bad) laugh

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/10/13 07:48 PM

Lighten up guys. Some people don't come across in print as well as they do in person. There are a lot of people that I have great respect for that won't even post on Trapperman any more because of criticism. Lord knows I have had to apologize plenty of times to people who misconstrued what I was trying to say. ( Or perhaps I was just being a dumba$$ )

If you would like a shining example of two posters who did not get along, think of me and Pesky. To his credit, Pesky stayed the course and I am finding him more to my liking every day. ( I think his post about his son's special deer permit was very enjoyable reading )

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/10/13 07:57 PM

Ha...the other day mousie got sprayed right in the face and she,( after she got done throwing up),
looked up (on her hands and knees, tearie eyed and vomit in her hair) and said, "Yep, I'm pretty sure that's how ol' Pesky would have done it"
I laughed so hard, I wet myself...(need to get that prostrate problem under control, I guess) laugh

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/10/13 08:27 PM

Thanks LT, Nate, Kasey, and especially mousie. It isn't always easy to find a story to write about for WCT. Although I'm certainly not the first one to write about women in the ADC business, I can certainly approach it from a new angle.

P.S. Once again, anyone who has never had a subscription to WCT magazine, please send me your name, address, and E-mail address. I will personally buy you your first year's subscription. ( If you don't believe me, I'm sure there are a number of people on here that can confirm that )

P.S.S. It has occurred to me that some of you might want to suggest themes or topics for columns or stories or even additions to WCT. My E-mail is wildlifecontrollers@yahoo.com. ( And I usually read it several times a day )

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/10/13 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: LT GREY

Still, you won't see her pick up a 40 ft. ladder and most of us could !

I have only had one person work for me who could handle a 40 foot ladder by themselves. The rest struggled with a 28 foot ladder. My wife and daughter both help from time to time and I don't expect them to carry anything over a step ladder or do other things that I have seen men struggle to do. I do enjoy watching them try to carry a water logged beaver or a big ol' boar coon in a cage though.

maybe learn to shut up...(well, two outsa three ain't bad) laugh

Never said she needs to shut up. This is America and she can speak her mind freely no matter who it makes mad. It would be sad if she was afraid to say what is on her mind.

Paul doing an article about females in ADC is a great topic and one you have first hand experience with. I look forward to reading it.
Posted By: mousie

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/11/13 02:33 AM

people mistake confidence for cockiness. i do say, "i m the best !" but do i actually think i m the best trapper? no of course not. but i did train everyday for over seven months under one of the best instructors out there. i got put through the wringer and pushed beyond my limitations. because i have formal training in diving kickboxing and gymnastics i was tough enough to keep going.
Lt didnt break me though at times i was so mad i couldve killed him. those were long rides home. today i only trap part time and do health care for the elderly. my job where i met Lt. i still enjoy nuisance trapping and running turtle lines with hoop nets and have had a pretty good season. i m looking forward to running a trap line this winter. i am someone who is a quick study and wont back down from a challenge. should be interesting to say the least.
Posted By: DAVE SALYS-CWCP

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/11/13 01:02 PM

LT needs elder care already, now I know where his alias comes from, Life's Tough & Grey. Add Paul to your client list and you would have a full time job. grin
Posted By: ritrapper

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/11/13 01:20 PM

Now that we have all the bickering out of the way, again. I along with others would like to know if anyone has any tips on successfully caging reds on a regular basis as a target species.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/11/13 01:38 PM

Trapping roaming reds in cages can be challenging if limited to that trap only and costly in terms of time vested.

If they are deemed nomadic animals or those that have established regular hunting or travel routes thru the problem areas is a critera you need to establish. Catching them consistently beyond stucture areas in cages can pose challenges and problems.

Such as trap theft and interference just to name two big problems. Set up time, prebaiting at times when needed and prepping the cages for acceptance is time consuming to do on a large scale effort.

There is not an easy answer to this problem. You trapping skills are your biggest challenge in most cases such as this. Limitation of devices that can be used is going to be the largest issue for you to manage.
Posted By: DAVE SALYS-CWCP

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/11/13 01:50 PM

PM sent.
Posted By: michael_obrien

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/12/13 02:13 PM

well I for one sure hope you are able to help lt get his bladder problem under control. I always figured him for a bed wetter

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/12/13 07:06 PM

ill guarantee you he doesn't spend any time in these parts, we don't take too kindly to his kind here. in that way I guess we are still segregated, only not by color. we let his type hang out in iowa and Wisconsin, we don't let them across the border.
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/12/13 07:10 PM

are you finding wet spots in your side of the bed michael? i know Lt spends time up in minnesota. lol

Are you saying lt is a bed pee'er?? sick

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/12/13 07:13 PM

are you finding wet spots in your side of the bed michael? i know Lt spends time up in minnesota. lol

and if your saying he has been hanging out with my wife I can assure you that isn't the case. my wife is even more of a man then he is and she is pretty feminine.

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/12/13 07:14 PM

I still stand behind my statement that, basically is just agreeing that trappers who make statement should be able to 'back up their claims ! '
Many trappers like fisherman, tell some mighty tall tales...and that isn't to say one was just told. not at all.
Just that when a trapper says something, it shouldn't be a problem to prove it !

If I ask LATrapper to prove it......he could do it very easily...and has !

Vinke proved he could catch mink and otter in cage traps with ease, Havaharts, none the less.
And he did it with photos...

I have over 3000 pictures on Photobucket.
I could come up with a couple of pictures, if someone ask...

all that proves is you have too much free time.

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/12/13 08:10 PM

I've got to disagree with you Mike. I have never met LT but if I had to do it all over again, I would have replaced my brain with a decent camera a long time ago. There are so many things that I have done and seen that would actually be of interest to a lot of different people that have not been captured on film.

I guess it's probably because I now have a column in WCT, but I just can't stress it enough, TAKE PICTURES!
Posted By: ritrapper

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/13/13 12:07 AM

I agree with you Paul whole heartedly, I am terrible at remembering to take pictures. But when I do take pictures it is a lot easier to explain things that happened on a trip, adc job, trapline etc.
Posted By: sgs

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/13/13 02:09 AM

I've found it a PIA to take a camera with me, everywhere I go and 'maybe' be glad of it. I bet there's been a hundred times over the past few years when I slapped myself for not having the camera with me and another hundred times when I slapped myself for bringing it.

I have absolutely no interest in taking pictures of myself. That's just a little too weird for me. But sometimes I wish I had a picture of an animal that I trapped.

Sometimes I have the camera and get a good shot but most times I don't and that's just fine with me.

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/13/13 03:26 AM

some of the coolest times ive ever had on the line and best catches were never recorded on film, and im fine with that. I know they happened, I remember them like yesterday, and I really couldn't give two craps to share them moments anymore.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/13/13 03:42 AM

I got lots of trapping photos over the years,but feel no inclination to prove anything with them.
Believe my posts or not -who cares?lol.

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/13/13 04:04 AM

well besides that your Canadian, your people are just believable. its us southerners you gotta look out for! lol
Posted By: Boco

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/13/13 04:30 AM

How did you make out with the chip truck this summer Mike,did you go to any native pow wows,some of those here are a moneymaker.

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/13/13 04:39 AM

we did well, we have a one day event Saturday again here locally, then one more 3 day later this month then hopefully I can stick it in the garage till spring. no pow wows but I know a few who do them, and they do well at them.

im going to try to get like 6-8 big events per year and focus on that. only drag it out a few times per year and do well at those events enough so we don't need to work it anymore than that. im plenty busy with work and we are only looking for this thing to fund college for the little guy and his soon to be brother or sister. anything more than that is pure gravy.

that said, my off season is in the winter, so if I could figure out a way to work it then I will.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/13/13 02:37 PM

mousie =,,,,,,,,. Best to just put him on "ignore this user" list...

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/13/13 08:34 PM

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/13/13 08:40 PM

Posted By: Bryan Daigle

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/13/13 10:41 PM

Originally Posted By: michael_obrien
some of the coolest times ive ever had on the line and best catches were never recorded on film, and im fine with that. I know they happened, I remember them like yesterday, and I really couldn't give two craps to share them moments anymore.

X 2 Well said.

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/13/13 11:52 PM

Mousie you can also see more about me on www.wolfernation.com I'm on the front page sept 9th talking about the new freedom brand DP trap .
Posted By: TJP

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/16/13 07:00 PM

I'll show a few pictures

Not the easiest critter to trap in a live trap but it can be done.

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/16/13 08:31 PM

You are the red fox catching in cage king TJP

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/16/13 08:37 PM

Sorry Pesky, one of those was a Comstock. ( I still have not set a Comstock for fox but I'm sure the results will be good ) This was the slowest year for fox calls in a decade and only because the customers are getting smart enough to leave them alone.

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 09/17/13 06:52 AM

Thinking we might get a few fox to raise next year just a few not get crazy like the game bird thing just a few to play with maybe silver and red fox . Might get a few mink as well
Posted By: mifox

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 10/17/13 11:51 PM

Posted By: Kirk De

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 10/18/13 11:40 AM

Quote:
Sorry Pesky, one of those was a Comstock. ( I still have not set a Comstock for fox but I'm sure the results will be good ) This was the slowest year for fox calls in a decade and only because the customers are getting smart enough to leave them alone.

They were all Advanced Traps.

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 10/18/13 07:39 PM

I apologize Kirk; that first photo in TJP's post looks exactly like one of my Comstocks. ( Including the bent trigger wires )
Posted By: Kirk De

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 10/18/13 11:28 PM

Quote:
looks exactly like one of my Comstocks. ( Including the bent trigger wires )

Ours have a longer throw on the door. A few more rings. Gun clips on seams are closer together. Conibear type trigger-mechanism combination for a firing system. Now are powder coated and have rings on seams as well as gun clips. Different designed frame, and use nuts instead of a bend in the bar for a hinge (for more close tolerance when pressure is put on the side by an animal working the door when caught).

That is a 10x12 trap. Probably a different size combination also.
Posted By: TN_Trapper

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 10/18/13 11:41 PM

Kirk's traps at good for Amarillo as well as Fox. I picked up one at the TFHA convention last week. Am planning on using it this winter, but Amarillos got under my dad's house, so it got a preseason workout.

Re: Red fox in cage traps - 10/19/13 08:13 PM

Is an Amarillo kind of a Texas armadillo?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums