Home

Cornstalk beavers

Posted By: trapmando

Cornstalk beavers - 07/22/13 08:29 PM

Got a call about some beaver destroying a farmers corn field.So I went out to give a inspection and found that the beaver were cutting the stalks off at the ground and had a steady trail of stalks all over the farmers ponds and canal ditches. Making a short story we set the farm and we'll see how it goes. Anyone else have seen this problem, maybe some advise.
Posted By: sthet

Re: Cornstalk beavers - 07/22/13 08:54 PM

had a job like that a few years back...set every trail leading into the field...first...then break dam and set there...along with any bank hole...that same job also produced a ton of real big mushrats for me...4 and 5 pounders...one of the only times I saw bait work for rats....any thing yellow

Re: Cornstalk beavers - 07/22/13 09:38 PM

We set all the travel ways into and out of the cornstalks. Have not set any dams or crossovers yet.
Posted By: Kirk De

Re: Cornstalk beavers - 07/22/13 10:32 PM

Don't know whether you could but, I have found when it is hot it is best to makes sets just before a rain and set 750s at trails coming out of water followed by a snare about 3 feet in or just to where the freshly trapped beaver will not hit snare.The first beaver will be under water and not as likely to deter the second coming up the same trail. Use no scent or conibears. If you have to use conibears, try not to set exposed.

Coons will be using the same trails to get to the water, so make the snare sets in a way or location to minimize their presents affecting your set.

If the water in the ditch is deep or cold they will use those runs first.

This time of year, if scent is used, they may be active the first night and not the second or third.

By setting first on a dry day or night you may be productive but not as much as if you wait for a wet one due to the heat.

If you were further north it might be different in my opinion.

Human scent will play a factor due to the time of year and heat.
Posted By: sthet

Re: Cornstalk beavers - 07/22/13 11:07 PM

very good point Kirk...up here the heat plays little into my thinking most years....the human scent on the other hand is something I always take into consideration...had many heated talks with others near me about that...I think this is the first time I've seen it in print

Re: Cornstalk beavers - 07/22/13 11:31 PM

I agree 100% Kirk with your advise on the 750's on drowners. I will not be setting any conibears on this site due to the many geese and gators that are present. I am short on time with this job due to the loggers are right around the corner from me. The water in the canal is about 6 feet deep. There is six dams showing right now, you know that will change once I start releasing water fromthe low side dam. The low side dam is 1/4 mile from the ponds and roughly 6 feet above the water. I have no plans on using any lure or food type bait. We are getting the usual daily storms, so the rising water is there everyday.
Posted By: iayogi17

Re: Cornstalk beavers - 07/23/13 05:18 PM

see it all the time in IA beaver can take out acres.

Re: Cornstalk beavers - 07/23/13 05:25 PM

Just got in from my morning beaver route, picked up a male adult and a female adult today. The beaver were trapped about 300 yards from each other. Both were caught in 18 inchens of water and on drowners at the edge of the corn field.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Cornstalk beavers - 07/26/13 11:22 AM

WTG!

They try this every few years in MY CORN (or the neighbor)---a 1/2 acre skinned clean, in the middle of a 20 acre field.

I do what Kirk does. Hang in there.

Re: Cornstalk beavers - 08/08/13 01:47 PM

Alright, generally speaking, the chews left behind from beaver are the indication of how big beaver are, correct? In the cornfield the stocks are chewed at ground level. Does that show the beaver are small, or is that the best part of the stock? I've taken 8 beaver out of this area, just opened a small area of the lower dam to alleviate the high water. Any help would be great. Thanks Bob
Posted By: ritrapper

Re: Cornstalk beavers - 08/08/13 03:41 PM

I've seen plenty of saplings chewed close to the ground by large beaver, so the answer to your question is no that does not mean it is a small beaver.the biggest indicator I have found is the size of the material being brought to the dam. But even that depends on the available material around.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums